Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem associating files...please advise

Hi,

I have noticed a problem on my new iMac which I didn't have on my old one (it may be Snow Leopard related as my old comp was a PPC iMac which can't run 'Snow')...

The problem is when I'm associating files with a particular program (with the Info window), I can associate a single file fine, but when I click on the "Change All" button to associate all similar files...it doesn't work. In fact it causes the particular files I opened the info window on, to flip back to the default program it was originally associated with.

This is rather annoying. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanx a lot! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. Other than this, I haven't noticed a single other thing wrong with the comp. And BTW...I have run permissions repairs and it hasn't helped.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Leopard installed---hear me roar!

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 7:43 AM

Mr. Eeee wrote:
The problem is when I'm associating files with a particular program (with the Info window), I can associate a single file fine, but when I click on the "Change All" button to associate all similar files...it doesn't work. In fact it causes the particular files I opened the info window on, to flip back to the default program it was originally associated with.

Do the names of those files have an "extension" (e.g. ".doc")? That seems to be the main way that OS X 10.6 associates files with applications. If those file names don't have extensions, you might consider adding that.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2010 7:43 AM in response to Mr. Eeee

Mr. Eeee wrote:

Do the names of those files have an "extension" (e.g. ".doc")? That seems to be the main way that OS X 10.6 associates files with applications. If those file names don't have extensions, you might consider adding that.

Oct 14, 2010 6:44 PM in response to Mr. Eeee

Well...apparently those 'Resetting Launch Services' instuctions are only for regular Leopard and haven't been updated for Snow Leopard...

'Cause when I went to trash the two files they say to dump...they aren't there. There are no files in Library/Caches that say "LaunchServices" at all, much less, the specific files mentioned in the instructions.

Just for reference, here's the instructions . . .

[quote]
1. Quit all running applications.
2. Trash the following two files in the Macintosh HD > Library > Caches folder:

* com.apple.LaunchServices-0230.csstore
* com.apple.LaunchServices-023nnn.csstore

where nnn is the User ID number of the affected account.

Type your Admin password if prompted to authenticate the deletion of these files. See Notes [1] and [2].

3. Restart your Mac.
4. Log in to the affected account.
5. If the problem is resolved, skip to step 6. Otherwise:

1. Trash the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file in the Home > Library > Preferences folder. See Note [3].
2. Repeat steps 1-4.

6. Empty the Trash.[/quote]

Unless anybody else has any ideas, it looks like I may have to give Apple a phone call. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message was edited by: Mr. Eeee

Message was edited by: Mr. Eeee

Oct 14, 2010 7:26 PM in response to Mr. Eeee

Hi Mr. Eeee

there was a Terminal command to reset these, rather than finding/trashing files, which as you say, are different in 10.6

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

and so you can see it's apt - google

but I might try just Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist & a restart first, just to possibly avoid the 'you are opening xyz app for the first time...' messages.

Oct 16, 2010 10:46 AM in response to andyBall_uk

I still appreciated the reply William. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well...I tried trashing the com.apple.LaunchSerevices file and restarting. Unfortuneately, the same problem is still occuring.

On that Terminal command thing...
Do I just open Terminal and paste-in what you have quoted?

I don't want to do it until I'm sure 'cause I'm worried that I might mess something up...hehe! ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanx for your reply andy!!

Problem associating files...please advise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.