Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use Java Applet with Safari

I'm new to the Mac and so may have missed something obvious.

I have been trying to run a java applet in Safari but none of the applet functions seem to work. I have the same problem running Safari on Windows. When I run the applet in Firefox (Mac OS X and Windows) or IE then everything works fine.

I suspect that it may have something to do with the way that I am embedding the applet. I've looked at other posts and tried the various ways that are suggested but nothing seems to work. I will also post this question on the Java Forums.

Currently, the applet is embedded as follows:

<embed type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.6"
archive="/JavaTestApplet.jar"
code="JavaTestAppletPackage.JavaTestApplet.class"
name="JavaTestApplet"
id="JavaTestApplet"
width="0"
height="0"
preview="false"
showprinterdialog="false"
debug="false" />
</embed>

I do get the following java.net.MalformedURLException exception in the java console but I'm not sure whether this is related:

java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation.checkLiveConnectCaller(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation.access$000(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation.CallMethod(Unknown Source)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mac Mini Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. Macintosh HD.

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 8:19 AM

2 replies

Unable to use Java Applet with Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.