Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: using UltraGuest in iWeb

Apologies, I realise that this subject must have been covered before, but as a newbie to web creation, I'm afraid I've not been able to understand the mechanics of introducing a guestbook into my website. I have registered with UltraGuest on a member's recommendation and obtained a link, which I know works. What I cannot seem to do, is to access this link neatly so that pressing a button saying “Guestbook" it accesses this link and takes you to the appropriate page. Has anybody used UltraGuest in this way and if so could they give me, a step-by-step process to get it to work? If not, can someone offer another suggestion as to how to get a guestbook onto my website.

Bill

iMac 27" i5, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 1:45 AM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2010 4:33 AM in response to billbir

If you sign up, you should then get the code that you need for the guestbook to work on your website.

Copy and paste the code into an html snippet on the page of your website that you want the guestbook to appear on click Apply. In this way, the guestbook will be embedded into your site and visitors can sign it online.

Oct 14, 2010 6:07 AM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid,
'Copy and paste the code into an html snippet on the page of your website that you want the guestbook to appear on click Apply. In this way, the guestbook will be embedded into your site and visitors can sign it online.'

Sorry for being 'dense', but is the link inspector involved here. I simply cannot get it to work! I have done as you said, but all that happens is that the http ref. appears but does not act as a link. I understood that I was only to input the 'view' element, do I have to copy and paste, all of the code?

I am really looking to be able to add a button to the navigation bar, which when pressed, links to the UltraGuest link.

If you could give me a little more detail, or tell me where I am going wrong, I would be very grateful.

Bill

Oct 14, 2010 7:25 AM in response to billbir

No, you are not using a link, but with most things, they should give you the code so that you can display the guestbook on a page of your website and for this, you need to use an html snippet, insert the code and click on Apply.

I have never used this guestbook before - on my own site I use forms of my own creation and then I use Intense Debate which is a comment system that you could check out as an alternative if you wish. http://www.intensedebate.com.

Do a search of this site using the term guestbook or guestbooks and Old Toad has answered a lot of these questions. He has a link to his own site with an example on it. Take a look.

Oct 15, 2010 5:29 AM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid,

Thanks for your e-mail. I have had a look at intensedebate.com, which seems a bit too sophisticated for me at this point in time (though it looks good). UltraGuest is just ideal for me as a beginner and doubly advantageous as it has a free version. I have now taken your advice and revisited Old Toad's site and the penny has finally dropped! I now know how to use HTML snippet and have embedded UltraGuest's code. Thank you very much for your help and patience with a beginner.

Bill

Oct 15, 2010 12:47 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

As you can see from my last message: 'I have now taken your advice and revisited Old Toad's site and the penny has finally dropped! I now know how to use HTML snippet and have embedded UltraGuest's code. Thank you very much for your help and patience with a beginner.'

I am very glad that you have replied to this query, as I am now able to publicly thank you for your excellent site and the considerable help that it gives to beginners like myself.

Bill

Re: using UltraGuest in iWeb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.