Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime still waiting for activation after restore

Hi there,

I got an iPhone4 2 weeks ago, activated FaceTime with a lot of trouble (took 2 days doing all the stuff of reseting, restoring, etc...). Then I've discovered that the camera had some issues and changed the phone. From that time, I was not able to activate FaceTime on the new phone. I've reseted the network settings, and the whole settings many times, rebooted, restored, whatever. I'm living in Macao (close to Hong Kong) and I use the official iPhone 4 provider. Still, nothing happened for the past week, except I'm being charged for something like 15 international sms.

Any idea?
Is there at least any information that it's a bug being corrected (or not??)?

Thanks

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 1:02 AM

8 replies

Oct 14, 2010 6:48 AM in response to godbout

godbout wrote:
Hi there,

I got an iPhone4 2 weeks ago, activated FaceTime with a lot of trouble (took 2 days doing all the stuff of reseting, restoring, etc...). Then I've discovered that the camera had some issues and changed the phone. From that time, I was not able to activate FaceTime on the new phone. I've reseted the network settings, and the whole settings many times, rebooted, restored, whatever. I'm living in Macao (close to Hong Kong) and I use the official iPhone 4 provider. Still, nothing happened for the past week, except I'm being charged for something like 15 international sms.

Any idea?

With all the things you have tried, if the suggestions here do not get it sorted,

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12399870&#12399870

the info here may help you: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/facetime/

If you still have trouble, contact iPhone Support: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/contact/

Is there at least any information that it's a bug being corrected (or not??)?

Not (that I have seen reported, anyway.)

Thanks

You're welcome.

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.4); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.4)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod touch 4.1

Oct 14, 2010 9:17 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks for your help EZ Jim.

I've checked your links. Trust that during my 10 days of waiting for activation I had time to read those stuff already. I know it's not a problem of government here, HK and Macao and separate from China, and half of the people can use FaceTime here (with iPhone bought from official carrer).

I'm trying a last restore and set the phone as new. If it doesn't work I'll switch back to 3GS (have other issues of proximity sensor and slowness with iPhone4).

Message was edited by: godbout

Oct 15, 2010 1:29 AM in response to EZ Jim

Ok so I've restored and setup the phone as a new phone but it didn't change anything. So I passed by my carrier's office. They explained me about the silent sms sent to an Apple's server in the UK (was a bit surprised because usually those guys don't know anything :D). They told me that there seems to be an issue with the Apple server as it doesn't give any answer back, so the carrier knows about the issue and they informed Apple but didn't have any feedback yet.
The guy told me also that all the international sms to the Apple server facetime activation are free of charge (at least from my carrier) for the phone number that was register when the iPhone was bought. Unfortunately it was with my wife's number and she's using the 3GS, so I'll be charged for them.

That's about it.

(still have the issue of the proximity sensor though, and the slowness for it to activate/deactivate, hopefully it will be improved in some next updates...)

Message was edited by: godbout

Facetime still waiting for activation after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.