Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing problems with my newest Mac: can't connect to networked LaserJet

I have several Macs printing to an HP LaserJet 4000TN on my LAN. All but one work fine. Even the Windows machine works. The bad actor is a new MacBook Pro.

When I try to set the printer up (using the HP JetDirect IP connection), for some reason it can't figure out which driver to use—I have to manually select it. And very often it refuses to print, saying that it can't connect to the printer. Power cycling the printer fixes it temporarily (printer is set in Energy Saver mode but wakes up fine for other machines).

All my other Macs (all using latest Snow Leopard) work fine. What's the problem?

13" Macbook Pro (mid-2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 1:52 PM

19 replies

Oct 14, 2010 3:44 PM in response to G Robert Lewis

AppleTalk no longer exists in Snow Leopard, which is how it communicated with that printer. You'll have to add it via an IP address. Using the buttons on the top of the printer, kick out a Configuration Page. The IP address assigned to the printer by your router will be on that sheet.

To print a configuration page:
1 Press Menu until INFORMATION MENU appears.
2 Press Item until PRINT CONFIGURATION appears.
3 Press Select to print the configuration page.

Now add the printer as IP. Choose HP JetDirect as the connection. Enter the IP address as shown on the Configuration Page. Put a logical name in the name field, which would be the obvious "HP 4000TN".

Oct 14, 2010 4:00 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks, but all my Macs use IP to address the printer (via the JetDirect option). I have manually assigned an IP address to the printer and when I input it into the MBPro's printer setup, it apparently can see that there's a printer there but can't tell what kind it is. None of my other Macs have this problem, and they're all running 10.6.4.

Oct 22, 2010 2:33 PM in response to G Robert Lewis

Interesting: now my MacBook Pro is having problems printing to this printer. If I open up the queue, it says "Connecting to printer...Unable to connect to printer. Will retry in 30 seconds", and it just sits there.

Interestingly, this same queue window also says "Toner low". The obvious question: if it can't connect to the printer, how on earth does it know that the toner is low?

Second question: could the "toner low" alert be enough to hold up the printing operation? I know the toner's low: I'm getting the last pages out of it by periodically removing the cartridge and giving it a shake. Prints fine--when it prints.

Aaargh!

Oct 23, 2010 7:59 AM in response to G Robert Lewis

If I open up the queue, it says "Connecting to printer...Unable to connect to printer. Will retry in 30 seconds", and it just sits there.

That's what my Xerox 6280DN does under Snow Leopard if I add it the normal way in the printer setup. This even with SL drivers from Xerox. I had to print out a configuration page to get its IP address and add it as a Line Printer under the IP heading to get it to work properly.

Nov 30, 2010 6:27 PM in response to G Robert Lewis

I have the exact same issue - I can print to my wireless HP photosmart printer from my Mac Mini, but my macbook gets the cannot connect to printer message. I also have the low toner message - but it sounds like someone has proven replacing the cartridges does not fix it.

This is clearly due to a recent update as this computer has been able to print to that printer for a long time.

Dec 30, 2010 7:33 AM in response to vadimraskin

I take it that you've got the MFD connected by USB, right? What kind of 'multimedia drive' is it connected to? How does that device see the network? What happens if you connect the Brother directly to a computer? Does that model have an Ethernet port? If not, can you attach an USB-to-Ethernet print server to the USB port?

I'd say that the odds are excellent that the problem is with the 'multimedia drive', which might have Windows but not Mac drivers for its USB printer connection subsystem. An Apple device, such as a Time Capsule or an AirPort Extreme, ships with the correct settings to share printers and MFDs to both Macs and WinBoxes, but some other devices don't. Which one are you using?

Jan 22, 2011 8:30 AM in response to G Robert Lewis

Error Message: "Unable to Connect to Printer, will try again in 30 seconds...

I have the same problem. It just started a few days ago. Prior to that, it was printing fine. I recently did an Apple Software update, so I'm guessing that's where the problem originated from.

I have a Brother Multifunction that's setup on my WLAN.
I got the message after attempting to:
Factory reset the printer and setting up WLAN again
Uninstalling all Brother Printer and Scanner Drivers and Reinstalling
Switching to WiredLAN to print

Same Error Message Each Time

Two days ago, I also installed a new print cartridge. When I saw the levels a day later, it looked like it was half used - No Way!

There is obviously a miscommunication between ink/toner level and new cartridges and the Apple Drivers for WLAN.

To my knowledge, there is no fix at this time and Apple needs to resolve this high priority.
What I don't get is why won't the wired config for the printer work either?

Last fix attempt: Take out all cartridges and reinstall. No Juice!

My Findings: The Latest Apple Software Update will screw up the communication between your Mac and print drivers.

Solution: It's all On Apple to fix this ASAP!

Jan 22, 2011 9:08 AM in response to ninagrayson.com

I contacted Apple and it seems the work-around is to connect a USB (not an Ehternet) to the printer and Mac and add the USB Printer to the Printer & Fax list in System Preferences.

My Brother went through the cartridge cleaning process initially, but then it printed a document no problem. I retried the WLAN printer set-up and no juice. So, it seems there's a Network issue where the Brother WLAN Drivers are not communicating properly.

I will follow up with any resolution I find.

Printing problems with my newest Mac: can't connect to networked LaserJet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.