Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

firewire and USB not usable

2604 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2010 8:57 AM by old comm guy RSS
Noah Wallach Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 15, 2010 7:46 AM
my friends machine is no longer using devices connected to the firewire and USB ports. Here is the description of troubleshooting steps so far. Any other suggestions?

--- snip ---

suddenly my G5 tower stopped recognizing any firewire device... no harddisk no soundcard.... also the same harddisk is not recognized via USB....
BUT.... the USB ports recognize USB sticks, mac keyboard, mouse.. no problemo.
also.. at the same moment the built in soundcard (mac av) stopped working, AND the internal CD drive !!!

i tried : flashing the PRAM ... on boot up hold down command, option, P, and R until the machine reboots it's self then let off the keys...

and; resetting the PMU:

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect ALL cables from the computer, including peripherals and power.
3. If possible, move the computer to a place where you are not standing on carpet.
4. Open the case and ground yourself by touching part of the metal frame inside the computer.
5. Find the Cuda or PMU button
6. Press the Cuda or PMU button ONCE. Do not press the button more than once before starting the computer up again.
7. Wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the cables you removed in step 2 and turn the computer on.

and i tried: resetting NV-RAM

Re-start holding the O,F, option, and command keys until a white screen is reached, this will be the open firmware
screen. You will be prompted to release keys at this point.
Type in the command line, reset-nvram. Press enter, next command line type in, reset-all and the computer will re-boot.

so.... i have no more solutions at this point !!!
MacBook Pro Unibody 15", Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,035 points)
    Oct 15, 2010 9:05 AM (in response to Noah Wallach)
    Replace the clock battery.
    An Apple user since 1981, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
    Oct 15, 2010 9:10 AM (in response to Noah Wallach)
    For the same reason zapping the PRAM can solve it. If the clock battery is near death, a zap of the PRAM will not work. There are certain BIOS settings that go to various input and output controls that the PRAM battery/clock battery controls. If it hasn't been replaced in the last 4 years, chances are issues may arise with it when it starts to die.
    Oct 15, 2010 9:12 AM (in response to Noah Wallach)
    By the way, since your issue is with a G5 which can't run Snow Leopard, I'm asking a moderator to move your thread.

P.S. for those who see this thread after it was moved, it was in the Snow Leopard forum.
  • gromit95 Calculating status...
    Oct 16, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to a brody)
    hello
    i have the same issue except my usb ports work
    if i connect a hard drive to firewire port (gtech mini) the drive spins up
    the led light flickers but the drive wont mount.

i will replace the battery to see if it fixes the issue
    thanks fred
    20" intel imac,17" g5 imac, g4 700 iMac . ibook 600, 15" g4 powerbook, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • old comm guy Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)
    Oct 16, 2010 10:36 PM (in response to gromit95)
    Don't overlook the possibility of a bum cable, especially with FW800. Some actually new cables can be bad, so it's always a good thing to try another cable.
    TiBook G4 1GHz/ G5 2 GHz DP GF Ultra 6800, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • DaddyPaycheck Level 6 Level 6 (16,035 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 3:54 AM (in response to Noah Wallach)
    Did you replace that battery yet? This is a common symptom of the need for a new battery.
    A collection of clinking, clanking, clattering caliginous junk., Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, PDP11
  • gromit95 Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Oct 19, 2010 6:43 AM (in response to DaddyPaycheck)
    replaced battery did not fix problem
    condition of new battery questanable exp date march 2010 but it was a new battery

fred
    20" intel imac,17" g5 imac, g4 700 iMac . ibook 600, 15" g4 powerbook, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • old comm guy Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)
    Oct 19, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to gromit95)
    gromit95 wrote:
    replaced battery did not fix problem
    condition of new battery questanable exp date march 2010 but it was a new battery

fred

That date code was probably the build date code, rather than the expiration. This would be true for either the Tadiran or Saft batteries. The lithium batteries have a shelf life of up to 10 years.
    TiBook G4 1GHz/ G5 2 GHz DP GF Ultra 6800, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.