Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Requires HDCP...My Apple TV 2 is about to get used as a Hockey Puck

I've been getting the message THIS CONTENT REQUIRES HDCP FOR PLAYBACK since day one. I've tried everything to get this thing working consistently but just can't seem to beat it at its game. I've unplugged my Samsung Dlp, my Monoprice 4 port HDMI switch, and Apple TV 2 and let them all sit for minutes before plugging them back in in every conceivable sequence and can't seem to get it to play any HD content via Netflix or streaming from iMac. A couple of times its worked, which has allowed me to watch exactly TWO movies via Netflix since I received it (ordered day one of announcement). Mysteriously, it just stops working. I've been getting the HDCP message for seven days running and have about reached the end of my rope with all the various reboots and unplugs.

My PS3 works like a champ playing Blu Rays thru the very same cable and switch without ANY fuss. My Xbox 360 works just fine thru same switch and cable (can view HD content via Xbox live video store).

I can stream everything else from my iMac (also brand new) except HD movies i've uploaded/purchased. I've read all the threads and nobody has any solution that consistently works other than Apple needs to fix this issue via firmware update, and it better be fast.

Apple, please DEAR GOD heed our cries and pleas and fix this issue.

iPhone 4, iMac 21.5", iPad 32GB, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM

27 replies

Nov 16, 2010 6:23 PM in response to ALICE UNCHAIND

My Apple TV is brand new and I've been using it without a problem for just about a month. I unplugged the HDMI cable from my TV by mistake and plugged it back in without turning the Apple TV off first. I wasn't paying attention and forgot that the Apple TV was still on.

Ever since then, I have not been able to watch a thing. Even after several reboots. Every movie or TV show givers me that "...requires HDCP ....." error message. I turned off my TV and the Apple TV and connected a new HDMI cable. I then powered them both on. Everything is fine now.

I must have blown the HDMI cable. HDMI cables are not hot swappable.

Dec 17, 2010 10:04 PM in response to vazandrew

I purchased the new Apple TV in September (loved the old one) and I had this problem from day one.

I downloaded the software update, I unplugged the TV, unplugged the AppleTV, unplugged the HDMI cable from the Apple TV and every variation of the above. None of it worked. I got on the forums.

After attempts to solve it with Apple support were unsuccessful I finally elected to just exchange it at an Apple store - which they did for me, with few questions asked. THE NEW ONE DID THE SAME THING!

At my wits' end, I tried all of the same things again. Finally I did the ONE thing I hadn't done yet -- I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV itself and the Apple TV (instead of just from the Apple TV).

SUCCESS! I'm not FINALLY about to watch a rented movie.

Apple really needs to figure this out. The folks at the Genius bar at my local store hadn't even heard about this issue yet.

Dec 31, 2010 12:49 PM in response to SuperheroHQ

I had exactly the same experience with my Toshiba 42" model 42HP84 except for your last step. It's a two man lift to get the TV off the wall which is required to access the HDMI port on the TV. Hence, ATV2 is worthless to me if I have to take this step every time I get the HDCP error. I returned my ATV2 and hope that many others will too in order to motivate Apple to allocate sufficient resources to fix this product.

Jan 2, 2011 6:34 PM in response to Zeneth

SUCCESS ....... for now ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have now got my atv2 unit to power back on - and we can play the rented SD movie which is playing now to a happy family.... 🙂

No HDCP error message appeared this time.

This what we did to fix our issues....

1) Pressed the HDMI cable more firmly into the HDMI port into TV - this allowed the ATV2 to actually show/reappear onto the tv panel.

2) Plugged both power leads for TV and ATV DIRECTLY into wall. (Previously, we had both AC leads plugged into a 4x multi power board and had this plugged into the wall.

We started the SD movie and no HDCP error appeared and movie is still playing as i type...

Now, to repeat this error/diagnostic, we then plugged the TV power lead back into the 4 x multi power board and plugged the board back into the wall. Immediately, the dreaded HDCP error re-appeared. We then replugged TV back into wall directly and no HDCP error message.

Hypothesis #1 :
Now, this 4 x multi power board also had our DVD player and stereo connected to it. Perhaps our DVD (potential recording device) was being detected and hence the HDCP barrier came up so that we were not able to record this movie.... just a hunch but sounds plausible.....

Hypothesis #2 :
Also, this 4 x multi power board was within immediate vacinity of the ATV2 unit. Possible interference.....

When the 'dust' settles and the family finishes watching the movies, (1 x HD , 1 x SD), i will plug the 4 x multi power board into another AC wall socket way out of the way of the ATV2 unit (around 4m) and try to repeat this error to validate my hypotheses - noted above.

I will report findings later in around 6 hours...

thanks for your help people...

Jan 3, 2011 4:58 PM in response to Zeneth

WOW!

I flipped my HDMI cord around (plugged the end that was in the ATV2 into the TV and visa versa), and still couldn't download. Unplugged everything from the powerbar except the TV and ATV2, and BAM, working perfectly. As a test, I then flipped the HDMI cable back around, and the error reappeared. Flipped the cord back around AGAIN, and everything started working.

Extremely strange, but glad to have everything working.

Hopefully Apple figures this glitch out.

Thanks Zeneth for the idea.

Requires HDCP...My Apple TV 2 is about to get used as a Hockey Puck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.