From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Empty Cache.
Third party unsupported plugins, or Safari Extensions could be a factor.
From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab. Deselect: Enable plug-ins. Relaunch Safari. if the pages load normally, then it's a plug in causing the problem.
For troubleshooting the plugins, go here. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3230?viewlocale=en_US
You can turn off Extensions from Safari / Preferences.
If it's not plugins or Extensions, try Safari on another user account. See if the same thing happens.
If Safari is getting very slow:
Adding Open DNS codes to your Network Preferences, should give good results in terms of speed-up as well as added security:
If you are using a single computer: Open System Preferences/Network. Double click on your connection type, or select it in the drop-down menu, and in the box marked 'DNS Servers' add the following two numbers:
(You can also enter them if you click on Advanced and then DNS)
Sometimes reversing the order of the DNS numbers can be beneficial in cases where there is a long delay before web pages start to load, and then suddenly load at normal speed:
If your computer is part of a network: please refer to this page: http://www.opendns.com/start/bestpractices/#yournetwork and follow the advice given.
You could also try these codes as well: 188.8.131.52 & 184.108.40.206
If you use a Router, make sure it has the latest firmware installed.
One reason for a slowness in page loading may be the 'DNS Pre-fetching' feature of Safari 5.x
This is described here:
If Safari seems to hang for ages:
If you have a lot of tabs open and/or a lot of pages running Flash, Safari can sometimes 'hang', requiring a restart of Safari. This can often be inconvenient, and as it is rarely Safari itself that is hanging but merely one of its plug-ins, usually Flash, there is a way using Terminal to restart the plug-ins (without restarting Safari and losing your tabs) by quitting the WebPluginHost process:
Open the Terminal from the Utilities folder in /Applications and type
killall -9 WebKitPluginHost
Note that this command kills all Safari plug-ins, not just Flash. All plug-ins should start back up when you reload the page.
Then go back to Safari and refresh any pages that were using the Flash plug-in. This also fixes the Beachball of Death. Try this whenever Safari gets slow or freezes. The latest versions of Flash 10.1 appear to have improved the situation somewhat, but haven't completed eliminated it.
Wow! My prayers are answered! I have been having a helluva time searching for why my Safari loads so slowly on a brand new iMac...the "blue" scroll across the navigator bar would always get stuck right about the third w in www and sit there and sit there...
I followed Carolyn's instructions and disabled some plugins...that seemed to be the problem...it was driving me BANANAS!!! Thank you so much!
I would like to know more about what Klaus is saying regarding adding DNS addresses like that for speed...
An explanation of why using Open DNS is both safe and a good idea can be read here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/opendsn-what-is-opendns-why-required-2/2587 /
Wikipedia also has an interesting article about Open DNS:
Hey Klaus! Thank you so much for your DNS suggestions! It really seems to have solved most of my problem...it occasionally still hangs up, so I am going to switch the order of those addresses in the list and see if that takes care of the "occasionally." This problem only started occurring several months after I got the computer, I've only had it about eight or nine months...so it hasn't always been there, but I am in an extremely rural area and am at the end of electrical and telecommunications routes.
I had this exact same problem and tried most of the suggestions on this thread. By change, however, I stumbled across this article about search domains.
I went to my preferences and Airport Utility and deleted the entry I had under search domains (mine was hsd1.state.comcast.net) and saved changes. Now my response is blistering fast.
I hope this isn't a temporary state but there is definitely a significant improvement over what I was experiencing before.
This is what works for me. I installed the "click to flash" plugin. And everything works fine (except the minor little things that 'click to flash' causes - like in gmail). Anyway. To me this seems like a loading FLASH issue more than anything. Would love to hear someone confirm this on their machines…