Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your Apple TV is not authorized to play this content

I get this message ('Your Apple TV is not authorized to play this content') when I try to play any movie or TV show that I bought on my Mac Mini which I try and play via Apple TV. I have tried to de-authorize and authorize my account, rebooted the TV, and even rebooted the Mini that the media is on, but no luck?

Any suggestions on what I could do?

I will be returning the Apple TV if I am unable play my legally purchased content.

MacBook Pro's, iPhone 4, Mac Mini, iPad 16 GB 3G + WiFi, Droid X

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 7:24 PM

12 replies

Nov 13, 2010 6:49 AM in response to mapex_venus

If this is for the new ATV2, then the cable you use to connect to your TV must be HDCP capable. Some are. Some aren't. I bought a cheap one that was not and it didn't work. I bought a slightly more expensive one that was HDCP compliant and all is fine now.

From the ATV webpage:
Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 720p 60/50Hz (see note 2)

Bottom of page.
Note 2: Requires HDCP when playing protected content.

Sep 30, 2011 11:33 PM in response to jmanguitars

I get the same error on some video content (specifically from the iTunes Library on my Mac). Netflix is fine. Movie previews are fine. I didn't rent/buy anything since this issue came up. I reset the AppleTV (20 minutes of re-entering everything). I am going to try another HDMI cable but the error does not say HDCP as shown in other google searches regarding this issue ( http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/05/hdcp-may-spoil-your-apple-tv-fun/ ).

Was able to play movies rented from the Mac a few weeks ago

Have not tried to re-authorize

AppleTV does not show under devices in iTunes - but I don't ever remember seeing it before

AirPlay'd movie from iPad1 - sound came thru no video (luckily I had a iPad to HDMI cable that was in my work case that worked otherwise movie night with the family would have been tragic)

I'm interested to learn how to fix this without having to waste 30 minutes fooling with three devices, four different wire configs, and a few swear words all while people sit on the couch and laugh at my earlier pronouncements of Apple being the best.

Feb 5, 2012 3:05 AM in response to appleisawful

appleisawful wrote:

Yeah, and so nice of APPLE to come into the forum and do jack squat to help us. It's not an HDMI cord issue, it's theft.

Apple only rarely provide any official support here - these are user to user forums and the main Apple activity is adding some announcements or moderating topics.

While a bad HDMI lead could cause an issue, HDCP and all copy protection does nothing but inconvenience/annoy genuine paying customers, and the issues are generally authorisation related in some obscure way and not related to hardware or cables (though they can be).

AC

Feb 5, 2012 3:06 AM in response to mapex_venus

mapex_venus wrote:

Any suggestions on what I could do?

I will be returning the Apple TV if I am unable play my legally purchased content.

What a poor customer experience.

Send feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

I'd consider taking it back too - while you're at it pester itunes Store support for a refund if you can't solve this (Report a problem from your itunes purchase history).

AC

Your Apple TV is not authorized to play this content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.