Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable "Add Image to iPhoto Library?"

When you right click on an image in Safari, it gives you the option to add the image to your iPhoto Library. I never ever want to do this. How can I remove that context menu item? I click on it accidentally all the time and it's really annoying. I really want to just remove it.

3.06ghz Macbook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 10:43 PM

6 replies

Oct 16, 2010 7:13 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I'm a web developer so I use pretty much every browser under the sun every day of my life. Safari is my primary browser because it's fast and doesn't give me any issues. Safari is also the only one that puts that item in the context menu and it's only after you install iPhoto. When saving images I accidentally click it sometimes because it's so close to the "Save Image As..." context menu item. When you have a big screen with high resolution and you're moving fairly quickly to save a bunch of crap you can click it accidentally sometimes.

I went tearing through Safari's preferences plist last night and I couldn't find anything. I also can't find any information when I search these forums or google. I really just want it gone.

Oct 16, 2010 10:50 AM in response to JiveMasterT

Thanks for clarifying. Good luck with getting that changed. See http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/Tools/Conceptual/Safari ExtensionGuide/ExtensionsOverview/ExtensionsOverview.html for a possible disabling method.

If you want to report this issue to Apple's engineering, send a bug report or an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, join the Mac Developer Program—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.

Oct 27, 2010 10:09 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks. I just reported it as a bug. I'm not going to hold my breath though - last time I reported an issue they closed it as a duplicate even though the issue is still present over 10 months later. They also told me to update the ticket to get a status update on the bug. They've ignored all of my updates asking for status updates.

Most other applications have to add a context menu item in your ~/Library or /Library folder but there is nothing there for iPhoto or Safari so there is no clean way to just delete it. I do see some stuff that I might be able to remove from the /System/Library which I might muck around with later.

How do I disable "Add Image to iPhoto Library?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.