Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming Problems: AppleTV 2ndGen vs. other devices

It appears that the Apple TV 2nd Generation (I have two) has difficulty streaming files that other Apple devices on the same network do not. I have narrowed this down to the ATV being the culprit, but not sure what to do next.

For example, streaming a Netflix movie
- AppleTV stops to buffer for :10 every :20 like clockwork.
- Mac Mini hooked up to same TV & wifi, streams same movie with no problems
- iPad 3G (using same wifi network) streams same movie with no problems
- Just for grins, the Xbox 360 Netflix implementation also streams the movie just fine, no buffering

Also having the same issue with streaming video podcasts (from robust providers with good hosting like Revision 3)
- Diggnation (Small Quicktime Video) - never plays after 2 minutes of buffering
- Same file, same wifi Mac Mini - plays instantly
- Same file, same wifi iPad and iPhone 4 - plays instantly

In the case of video podcasts, I never had any stream buffering issues with either one of my Apple TV 1st Gen devices hooked to the same wifi.

These comparisons lead me to conclude that there is some software or hardware glitch on the Apple TV 2nd Generation devices that is hindering its ability to stream content efficiently. I have a hard time believing I got TWO defective units - is anyone else able to run comparison testing like this and get similar results?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you may have.

Apple TV 2nd Generation, Mac OS X (10.4.5), 8Mbs connectivity, Wifi 802.11n network.

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 10:30 PM

8 replies

Oct 15, 2010 11:30 PM in response to FelixGarcia

Thanks Felix, for responding so quickly!

I'm using the Apple Airport Extreme router, which appears to be operating just fine for the 4 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, Xboxes and PS3's all streaming with no issues. Happy to dig deeper on the router but may need some advice on what I'm digging for.

Are there some special settings (opening ports, etc) I should consider for the Apple TV's? I've gone through the troubleshooting steps from the ATV manual, but it only recommended unplugging and restarting everything.

Thanks again!

Oct 18, 2010 7:49 AM in response to pjkearney

pjkearney,

I had the same problems last week. I have an Airport Extreme, an Airport Express, one Mac (wired), two iPod Touches, and two new Apple TVs (one wired, one wireless). The wireless Apple TV would stream fine from iTunes, but when streaming from Netflix, it would pause to rebuffer every 10 minutes or so. The wired one worked flawlessly.

Yesterday I spent some time trying to figure out what was wrong, and now it's working fine. I have no idea what ended up fixing it, but I suspect that changing the Airport's channel (from 11 to 9) did it. Hope this helps.

Streaming Problems: AppleTV 2ndGen vs. other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.