Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Keychain login

Can anyone tell me how to remove the need for Keychain Login on Mail and Safari.

I think I set it when I got my MBP but I find it annoying to have to login before I can get onto Safari when I don't need to login to Firefox! No-one else has access to my MBP and they'd have to get into the user/admin account first.

I didn't want to just press the Delete Keychain incase this does something more drastic

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 3:02 AM

4 replies

Oct 28, 2010 1:06 PM in response to s.mak

Firefox doesn't use your system keychain to store usernames and passwords, but Safari does. Turning off usernames and password in the AutoFill Tab of Safari's Preferences should keep it from accessing your keychain for information. But if you are continually being prompted for your login password, it's a sign that your login keychain is not working correctly.

The login keychain should be automatically unlocked when you successfully log into your user account. If repairing the keychain fails, you can remove the keychain, but keep in mind deleting a keychain is permanent and you will loose all the stored information in that keychain, including, but not limited to, usernames and passwords, secure notes and certificates. Here's how to permanently remove and recreate the keychain.

To Remove the login keychain
1) Open Keychain Access in /Applications/Utilities
2) Select the login Keychain from the list of keychains on the left side
3) Delete the login Keychain (File -> Delete Keychain "login")
4) When prompted Delete Files & References to the Login keychain.

To Recreate the login keychain
1) From the File menu, choose new keychain
2) Name the keychain "login" and save it in ~/Library/Keychains
3) For the keychain password, enter the same password that you use to log into your user account*
4) Verify the password and click "OK"

* If you enter a different password here, you will continuously be prompted to enter the password for the keychain "login".

Removing Keychain login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.