Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can US Power Adapter be used in Europe?

Hi:

Forgive if this belongs in the 'Accessories' category, I wasn't sure. Anyway, I'm going to Italy and want to take my iPad (and iTouch). I have an adapter kit from my old iPod (the classic, but from before it was called the classic) and it worked well in the 220V of the Caribbean. I'm wondering if the new ones are the same. They are a lot smaller. Thanks in advance!

Powerbook G4

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 6:05 AM

They are electrically compatible but you'll need to determine if you need a mechanical adapter so that the plug fits properly in the receptacle.
10 replies

Oct 17, 2010 6:58 AM in response to Scott Nash

I just returned from Spain, you can definitely use your US power cord but you will need a plug adapter....not a power converter. The plug adapter allows you to use their sockets with the north american plugs, whereas a power converter changes the voltage from 220 ( used throughout Europe) to 110 (used in NA). Most electronics sold now have built in converters....you can check this by checking the warning label on your equipment...if it shows a range of power from 110- 220 then you don't need to use a converter.

Oct 17, 2010 7:44 AM in response to Scott Nash

Yes you can use the charger in Europe...rated for 100-240 volts and 50-60 Hertz. As the others have said, all you need is either a pin adapter or replacement pin piece. The pin piece slides off horizontally. Apple sells a world traveler kit that has replacement pin pieces for most countries. You may be able to convince an Apple store in Italy to sell you just the pine piece for Continental Europe...France, Italy, Germany, etc., all use the same pin configuration.

You can also buy the US to Europe pin converter in many airports in Europe.

Can US Power Adapter be used in Europe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.