Skip navigation

Can US Power Adapter be used in Europe?

8404 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2010 9:50 AM by Scott Nash RSS
Scott Nash Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 17, 2010 5:46 AM
Hi:

Forgive if this belongs in the 'Accessories' category, I wasn't sure. Anyway, I'm going to Italy and want to take my iPad (and iTouch). I have an adapter kit from my old iPod (the classic, but from before it was called the classic) and it worked well in the 220V of the Caribbean. I'm wondering if the new ones are the same. They are a lot smaller. Thanks in advance!
Powerbook G4
  • Philly_Phan Level 6 Level 6 (11,010 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to Scott Nash)
    They are electrically compatible but you'll need to determine if you need a mechanical adapter so that the plug fits properly in the receptacle.
  • virtualgeo Level 2 Level 2 (220 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to Scott Nash)
    You will definitely need a power converter with the proper type of plug for Europe. They are very inexpensive and are available at most electronic stores.
    SONY VAIO, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, iOS 4, iPad 32GB, iPhone4 32 GB
  • Kay Marczoch Level 7 Level 7 (21,680 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 6:54 AM (in response to Scott Nash)
    If talking of the 10watt charger that came with your iPad and has a removable plug - it'l work with just a simple plug adapter.
    MacPro 8-Core - MBPro Air+13"+15" - MacMini - PowerMac G5 - 1st Gen iBook - Cube, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 100 Mbit FibreDSL - DVB(C) - several iPods - DOT MobileMe
  • Coc Calculating status...
    Oct 17, 2010 6:58 AM (in response to Scott Nash)
    I just returned from Spain, you can definitely use your US power cord but you will need a plug adapter....not a power converter. The plug adapter allows you to use their sockets with the north american plugs, whereas a power converter changes the voltage from 220 ( used throughout Europe) to 110 (used in NA). Most electronics sold now have built in converters....you can check this by checking the warning label on your equipment...if it shows a range of power from 110- 220 then you don't need to use a converter.
    Ipad
  • Ralph Landry1 Level 7 Level 7 (28,695 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 7:44 AM (in response to Scott Nash)
    Yes you can use the charger in Europe...rated for 100-240 volts and 50-60 Hertz. As the others have said, all you need is either a pin adapter or replacement pin piece. The pin piece slides off horizontally. Apple sells a world traveler kit that has replacement pin pieces for most countries. You may be able to convince an Apple store in Italy to sell you just the pine piece for Continental Europe...France, Italy, Germany, etc., all use the same pin configuration.

You can also buy the US to Europe pin converter in many airports in Europe.
    iMac G5 17, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iPad (3.2.2); PM 7600/132+G4/450 (Mac OS 9.1)
  • Barbara Brundage Level 7 Level 7 (22,075 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 7:53 AM (in response to Ralph Landry1)
    And your hotel may well have one if you forget--you'd be surprised how many people leave them behind, so most hotels have a drawerful, although it's safest to come prepared.
    iMac C2D 2.16, iMac G5 2.1, flat panel imac 700, ibook G4 1G, Performa 6116CD, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Jeff Grunewald Calculating status...
    Oct 17, 2010 7:59 AM (in response to Scott Nash)
    I just returned from Italy and can definitely say that the power adapter didn't work, even when it fit the receptacle. Luck I brought a 30 year old power adapter that still works.
    Mac OS X (10.3.x)
  • Philly_Phan Level 6 Level 6 (11,010 points)
    Oct 17, 2010 8:40 AM (in response to Jeff Grunewald)
    Your experience flies in the face of everything that the electronics and the electrical industries have accomplished over the last fifty years. Most likely the plug didn't truly fit properly. Just because it went in to the receptacle doesn't mean that it made electrical contact.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.