Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keys won't stop repeating

Recently, as I am typing, a key will "stick" electronically, causing the key to repeat endlessly. The keyboard is a wired keyboard. I have been able to stop the repeating by disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting the keyboard. This has occurred on two different keys at this point, and I have not found either of the keys to be truly stuck down. I have removed the keys and determined that the button underneath the key does not appear to be actually stuck down. Also because this has happened on two different keys ("e" and "t") and because unplugging and replugging in the keyboard stops the repeating, I think the problem is not a mechanical one. It has happened twice now in two days.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this or a fix for this?

Message was edited by: Fred L Johnson

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 24", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 9:42 AM

14 replies

Nov 23, 2010 1:12 AM in response to Fred L Johnson

My problem sounds similar so, though I have no answer to yours, maybe this reply will generate some help for us both. My wireless keyboard has worked fine for years but now all the keys have suddenly become hypersensitive and the caps lock is stuck on. This happened after a battery change that I did with the keyboard face down on a table. I can get a single letter by barely touching a key with a fingernail but a standard key press generates 3 or 4 letters. Changing the key board preferences makes no difference at all. What's the problem and how's it fixed?

Feb 8, 2011 11:41 AM in response to tree fort

Here's some more data points on this problem….

I have been affected by this twice. First time was on a wireless keyboard. Second time was a wired keyboard -- so I don't think it's the keyboards.

My iMac is not normally shut down except after a patch requires it, nor does it sleep, and is used heavily as a work desktop. Patches are up to date. The interval between occurrences was approximately six weeks.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard had no effect. Interestingly, even when the menu system was not functional because of the repeating key caused them to close immediately, the arrow keys on the wired keyboard still allowed me to navigate through the various desktop icons (though I couldn't get them to open or anything).

I am going to research this PRAM reset business before trying it…. Not sure what I'm getting myself into with something like that. 🙂

Jul 5, 2011 7:28 AM in response to scrappynoon

Thanks scrappynoon! I had a problem where my brand new bluetooth keyboard with my brand new iMac wound do two things:

1) At random times it would behave as though the down arrow was being held down, causing it to cycle through file lists continuously.

2) I couldn't produce a capital "I" with the left shift button. All other letters would capitalize with the left shift button, and I could capitalize the "I" with the right shift button or caps lock.

Based on your post, I pressed every "reset defaults" button I could find within the Keyboard control panel. I though, "Why not?" It didn't seemed to do anything I could see (since I hadn't even opened the control panel since I bought the Mac), however now the cycling seems to have stopped and I can now produce a capital "I" with the left shift button.

Thanks again. I was not looking forward to lugging a 27" iMac to the Mall.

Mar 19, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Fred L Johnson

Hi, I'm getting strange things with my aluminium wired keyboard:

First, I wasn't able to produce any boot order, like reset PRAM, boot device, AHT, the keyboard doesn't respond until the OS is bootin (on grey apple logo), and when the OS is in homescreen a repeated sound like a continuosly pressed key is heard, until I touch any key (when I touch any key it's stops). When I change the "Key repeat rate" and "Delay until repeat" to "slow" and "off" it works perfectly, any boot order accepted, and, no freeking noise produced at OS homescreen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Keys won't stop repeating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.