Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect iChat and pidgin windows via bonjour

i can connect a mc ichat and a pc windows with pidgin via bonjour and exchange messages but i can only receive fotos the fotos from ichat do not reach pidgin for an accept/decline option.any idea what's going on?

2.16 intel core 2 duo imac5.1, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 1:20 PM

Hi,

On the PC in the Firewall (Start > Control Panels > Firewall), have you set Pidgin up as an Exception ?

Bonjour, as Apple's Zero Configuration, method connects on Port 5353 on the UDP Protocol.

iChat Bonjour uses this plus port 5297 on UDP and also port 5298 on TCP and UDP.

Essentially Text Chatting takes place on one port and File Sending on another.
The Windows Firewall is likely to Allow Outgoing Stuff but not Incoming stuff.

User uploaded file

9:20 PM Monday; October 18, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2010 1:20 PM in response to hydrofal78

Hi,

On the PC in the Firewall (Start > Control Panels > Firewall), have you set Pidgin up as an Exception ?

Bonjour, as Apple's Zero Configuration, method connects on Port 5353 on the UDP Protocol.

iChat Bonjour uses this plus port 5297 on UDP and also port 5298 on TCP and UDP.

Essentially Text Chatting takes place on one port and File Sending on another.
The Windows Firewall is likely to Allow Outgoing Stuff but not Incoming stuff.

User uploaded file

9:20 PM Monday; October 18, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Oct 18, 2010 2:26 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

i have set Pidgin as an exception . I have read all these information you are noting about the ports etc. but i have also found this page http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/4665 where somebody writes "Pidgin doesn't support the file transfer method that iChat uses.Patches to implement it are welcome.". After having searched the net for about 10 hours to find a solution I gave up. I looked up every option on windows . Added a port 5353 UDP downloaded bonjour for windows from apple went back and forth in the file sharing menu nothing.It's easier to get a date with Kate Beckinsale. In fact I am about to call her. thank you for answering Ralph. I 'll take it easy today and tomorrow I'll try again and see if there is something more to do.thanks again m8. i really felt like trying to open a program in an amstrad pc 3086 of 1990.

connect iChat and pidgin windows via bonjour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.