Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does your new 27" LED Cinema Display buzz?

Got my 27 inch LED Cinema Display yesterday: very nice monitor.

However, I have noticed a feint buzz/ticking coming from the bottom right of the monitor when the brightness is set high. Just loud enough to be VERY annoying!

Is this a feature of the monitor? Does anyone else's new 27" Display have a buzz?

MacBook Pro (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 2:51 AM

22 replies

Dec 14, 2010 7:54 AM in response to danny m

mine does the same thing. Very very annoying. I'd love to get a headcount on how many people have this problem. I bet it's 90% and the other 10% have bad ears. On most electronics power supply problems are pretty uniform. Mine kinda sounds like electronic interference (like when I get my iphone to close to desktop speakers...etc.) Thoughts?

May 1, 2011 10:02 AM in response to danny m

Hi,

I bought my 27" Led CD 5 months ago and the same problem began yersterday:(.I send a mail to local Apple Retail Store,i am waiting their answer....This sound is like a hard disk is working in the bottom right corner of the monitor and it is very annoying unless you are watching a video or listening to music...

Jan 12, 2012 8:01 AM in response to danny m

Hi danny m,

I had exactly the same issue after 3 months of use - five days ago. My 27" LED-Cinema-D. went clicky when brighter - the intervals got abour 20-30secs. When going back to 50% brightness, it clicked about every about 40-50 secs. Since I work on a quiet environment, this is not acceptable for me. I returned it to Amazon (germany). Had my money back after three business days, luckily. Puuuh...!

Now happily returned to working with my 2006 ACD 20", which is small, but brilliant for me. This one, too, has a "hum-issue": It hums in every brightness-position EXCEPT the "5 squares" and the "full" position on the brightness-overlay. But "5 sq" works fine for me. I never needed "Full" up to now. An apple-engineer said thats the inverter-issue, well known by apple, costs carried by user...

Cheers, chrishees

Mar 1, 2012 3:44 PM in response to danny m

I am on my second Cinema Display and now both have made this annoying humming sound. I brought the first one (24" inch display) in a few months ago and they couldn't hear the sound. It was too loud at the Apple store to hear. Unfortunately, the 1 year of Apple Care had expired to get it fixed. Said it would cost about $700 out of pocket to fix.

Now, I have the 27" Cinema Display, which my company purchased for me only few months ago and it's now doing the same thing. It gets louder when I adjust the brightness up. I work in a quiet environment, so this is really annoying. So bummed this is happening again. I buy Apple products because they are quiet. I hope they can fix this.

Aug 18, 2013 4:11 PM in response to danny m

I'm having the same problem right now as well.

I've had my display for about 2 years. I purchased the display with my macbook pro in 2011. It's worked perfectly fine until about a month or so ago. I have the same problem with the brightness creating a louder buzz/hum sound the higher you go. I can't even play some music over it after so long because its just a constant annoying sound..

I brought it to the Apple Store by me (Orland Park, IL) and had them diagnose it and take a look. Told them the same deal everyone else is having... Higher the brightness, louder it gets. They said that it would be either power supply (magsafe, usb, display port) cable that was faulty, hence giving it a bad electrical grounding or the board on the back since its a backlit monitor. I left it at the store for about 5 days... hoping that the repair was possible and I could go back to using it as normal (seeing as i spent $1000 for it..). They said they could not find anything wrong with and they stressed it for 3 days trying to find the problem.

I've been troubleshooting this myself for the last 2 weeks or so, trying every possiblity since the Apple Store couldn't help solve the problem. I've tried different magsafe connections, replacing my powerstrip, unplugging other electronics in my room (even all of them but the computer), moving the computer in varoius different locations away from the monitor, and even using a seperate macbook to confrim that it wasn't my magsafe connection on my laptop.

I'm baffled on what else it could be since the apple store couldn't recreate this problem, or either they couldn't hear the sound (which i have no idea how you cant). So if anyone has any other troubleshooting workarounds, I'd love to hear them cause I'm all out of ideas. Thank god I'm not the only one out here with this problem though..

Sep 7, 2013 5:08 PM in response to danny m

Ordered my 27" LED refurbished. It arrived yesterday and my love affair was short lived. About an hour in, the buzzing started. At first, I only noticed it when loading Web pages. Then it progessively got worse to the point where any brightness setting above 50% would create a constant buzzing. Found this thread and quickly concluded this is a design flaw. Reboxed it and sent it back. Not impressed, Apple. Will spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Oct 10, 2013 9:53 AM in response to kylestalla

I've had a 30 inch with an 2009 Mac Pro which has been totally silent up until today. As for brightness settings I have always keeped it calibrated.

Due to another fault Apple UK told me today to unplug everything from the Mac Pro them hold in the power buttom for 30 seconds.

Since reconnecting I can not get rid of this hum.

Dec 2, 2013 2:30 PM in response to danny m

Seems to me that there are two different problems here. Some hear the buzzing/noise when brightness is on a low level (kind of like the buzzing of a lamp dimmer) and some get loud noise when turning up the brightness on the cinema display.

I have the latter problem (with my 27 inch) and I think it is the fan cooling the screen that is making the noise. Just like many of you the noise gets louder when I have a brightness level over 50 %. It sounds like the fan blades are going against something.

When starting up my MBP and the cinema display the noise is barely audible but after about 15 minutes (when the screen has warmed up) the noise gets pretty loud. The last week the noise has gotten worse and it starts to get loud faster after turning on the screen.

When I plug the mag safe into my MBP things get really out of hand and the noise gets really loud and irritating. Probably because the screen gets warmer when powering the MBP.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make sure what is the problem and how to fix it? Can somebody make a picture tutorial for opening up the screen and checking the fan/fans? I am not sure where to start or if I should just have it fixed. I am worried that it will cost me though.

Thank you.

Does your new 27" LED Cinema Display buzz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.