Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 with no protection

I'd like to hear from those who have no kind of protection on your iPhone 4. Does it really scratch easily and why are you so reluctant not to have a case or screen protectors on your phone? I currently have the otterbox defender and I am considering going naked if you know what I mean.

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 5:31 AM

11 replies

Oct 19, 2010 5:43 AM in response to jeffj4auburn

I don't have an iPhone 4, but I dumped my otterbox for my 3Gs shortly after trying it. The downside of such a big, bulky clumsy case far outweighed the upsides, IMO.

I do use a screen cover - from www.boxwave.com. I've been using their covers on camera LCDs and my portable phones for years - great product.

And, I use a slipcase when not using my iPhone - I have a Sena Kutu slip case so it is covered when in my pocket (www.senacases.com).

Using an iPhone without a case just seems so much better then any of the half dozen or so case I originally tried.

Oct 19, 2010 7:25 AM in response to Michael Black

So do you have any scratches on your iPhone??? That's really my only concern.

Michael Black wrote:
I don't have an iPhone 4, but I dumped my otterbox for my 3Gs shortly after trying it. The downside of such a big, bulky clumsy case far outweighed the upsides, IMO.

I do use a screen cover - from www.boxwave.com. I've been using their covers on camera LCDs and my portable phones for years - great product.

And, I use a slipcase when not using my iPhone - I have a Sena Kutu slip case so it is covered when in my pocket (www.senacases.com).

Using an iPhone without a case just seems so much better then any of the half dozen or so case I originally tried.

Oct 19, 2010 8:03 AM in response to jeffj4auburn

I was at the Apple store the other day and I saw the demo iphone had a lot of visible scratches. Of course many people that visit the apple store touches the iphone 4 a lot so I can see why they have so many scratches.

I'm currently using the Powersupport anti-glare screen and i love it. I'd rather protect my screen then having scratches on it. But people have their own choices, but I choose to protect my investment.

Oct 19, 2010 9:52 AM in response to jeffj4auburn

I have had my iphone 4 since early August and have noticed no scratches. I keep it in my front pocket ( by itself) and do not use a case or protector.

I did the same with my 3gs for a year and had no issues.

Granted, the iphone is a phone and does get used, so I do not spend any time or have much concern over slight signs of use. Perhaps I do not search my iphone for scratches as thoroughly as many seem to do.

Oct 19, 2010 6:58 PM in response to Tamara

left my iphone4 naked for 2 weeks after I bought it, treated it like my old blackberries, ie: in pocket with keys/change, slid across tables, places down on dirty surfaces, and I only have 2 micro scratches on the back glass, and no scratches on the front, almost seems like the front glass is of higher quality than the back.

Have since put a pixelskin case on my iphone not for scratch resistance, more for a little more peace of mind and protection should I drop the phone.

Oct 19, 2010 7:06 PM in response to Tamara

When I'm not using my phone it's safely stored in a leather clip pouch and I do have an Incase Smoke case on the sides and back. But, I haven't pout a screen protector on this phone (I did have one on my 3G previously) and I've had my iP4 since launch day. Not a single scratch on the face. None. Nadda. Zip. I wipe my screen with a microfibre cloth to remove any finger prints. I'm pretty happy with the front screen.

iPhone 4 with no protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.