4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2010 2:29 PM by MartinR
kwolson Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Hello to all. First post on this forum...

There is extensive discussion on the iMovie 09 forum about sporadic/complete audio loss when exporting movies to iDVD for burning. Lots of tricks to try by various posters with limited success.

Is a known issue with FCE? I'm planning to "move up" from iMovie as soon as I replace my aging G5 and can't find a definite consensus through forum searches.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Power Mac G5, 1.8 x 2, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • MartinR Level 6 Level 6 (14,860 points)
    I have never heard of, nor have I experienced this being an issue with FCE.
    (6 years heavy use, FCE 2/3/3.5/4), 5 different Macs, 4 versions of OS X ... never any such problem).
  • kwolson Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Thanks for the prompt reply. This is encouraging news.

Since you have used this program over the years on various Macs and OS versions, can I expect "reasonable" performance on my old G5? I'm just a hobbyist, so it doesn't matter to me if I go have dinner while something renders or processes but I'd rather not slow to a crawl, either.

K
  • Alchroma Level 6 Level 6 (17,865 points)
    I used a G5 Dual 2 gHz 4 Gig RAM for a few years and found it very respectable.

Al
  • MartinR Level 6 Level 6 (14,860 points)
    I edited my first movie (a 90 minute documentary) on a 1.25GHz G4 eMac and was very happy with performance. I did my next one on a 2.0GHz iMac G5 and was even happier with performance. I am currently using a 3.06GHz Core2Duo iMac and am amazed at the rendering speeds. A lot of 'performance happiness' depends on your expectations!

Basic editing functions - you know - cut, paste, apply a filter, move a clip, adjust an audio level, scrub through a clip, set keyframes - still take the same scale of time no matter what machine you are using, because it depends on the user! So ... I think you should be fine with performance on a G5.

The only limitations are you won't be able to import AVCHD video, and some FxPlug filters that require an Intel processor won't work.