Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical Text

How do I show my text vertically in a table cell? I can align the text vertically using the toolbar buttons, but that just moves the word up, middle, or down, and leaves the word horizontal. I want to display the text like this:
t t
e x
x or e
t t

I can do this with Excel (yes i said it) with 2 clicks of the mouse. My mac should be easier....it always is! Please advise

Thanks

Imac

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 9:14 PM

This forum removes extraneous spaces so I'm guessing the way your example ended up wasn't how you intended.

There is no way to rotate text within a cell. You can make it vertical like

T
E
X
T

by typing option-return between each character. Alternatively, you can put a text box over a cell and the text box can have rotated text in it. However, the text box won't be part of the table. For some uses that is fine, for others it is not.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2010 9:14 PM in response to asparagus7

This forum removes extraneous spaces so I'm guessing the way your example ended up wasn't how you intended.

There is no way to rotate text within a cell. You can make it vertical like

T
E
X
T

by typing option-return between each character. Alternatively, you can put a text box over a cell and the text box can have rotated text in it. However, the text box won't be part of the table. For some uses that is fine, for others it is not.

Oct 19, 2010 9:29 PM in response to asparagus7

asparagus7 wrote:
How do I show my text vertically in a table cell? I can align the text vertically using the toolbar buttons, but that just moves the word up, middle, or down, and leaves the word horizontal. I want to display the text like this:

<PRE>
t t
e x
x or e
t t

</PRE>
Other than reversing the internal letters (ex in the first, xe in the second), how are the two examples different?

If what you actually want is to rotate the word 'text' 90 degrees left or right, so that the base of the letters is on the left and the word reads down the page, or so that the base of the letters is on the right and the word reads up the page, the answer is "Feature not available." At least not directly. You can place the word into a text box, rotate the box 90 degrees left or right, then place the box as a floating object over the correct column.

If you actually want to have the text look like the column on the left, that can be accomplished fairly directly.

Insert a text box into the document.
In the text box, type:

t shift-return e shift-return x shift-return t

Press command-A to Select All the text.
Press command-C to Copy.
Click on the cell where the text is to go.
Press command-V to Paste.

Regards,
Barry

PS: You may wish to make a Feature Request to Apple fo future versions of Numbers. To do so, go to the application menu (in Numbers, the "Numbers" menu) and choose Provide Numbers Feedback.
B

Oct 20, 2010 7:50 PM in response to asparagus7

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am marking this as answered because I have found your suggestions to at least let me move forward with a make-shift solution. I have put in feedback to Apple regarding not being able to do this with a button selection such as text orientation like Microsoft Excel. Hopefully they will put this feature in the next version of numbers as Mac's are always easier than PC's. This is the first time I have ran into something that my Mac CAN"T do that a PC can!! HAHA.

Regards,

Oct 21, 2010 1:22 AM in response to asparagus7

asparagus7 wrote:
This is the first time I have ran into something that my Mac CAN"T do that a PC can!! HAHA.

There are a number of features supported in MS Excel that are not supported in Numbers '09, and this is one of them. But that doesn't make it "something that my Mac can't do," as you can see below.

User uploaded file

The rotated text "Demo" is in the cells B1, C1 and D1 in this spreadsheet made on (my) Mac. As you can probably tell from the very plain column labels, it wasn't done with Numbers, though.

Numbers can do this sort of text rotation in the labels on the horizontal axis of graphs, so there is hope that your feature request may be fulfilled in a future version.

Regards,
Barry

PS: The image is a screen shot from a NeoOffice spreadsheet.

Oct 21, 2010 4:23 PM in response to Barry

Yes you are very right! I suppose a Mac can do this using the appropriate software!! What I should have said was that a PC "product" can do something a mac "product" can't. Maybe that is more accurate. But then again I suppose I could make my VW bug go 250mph too if I drop a Ferrari engine in it!! HA! Thanks for the help and input tho. Very much appreciated!!

Ciao,

Dec 5, 2010 12:17 PM in response to msbohn

msbohn wrote:
Numbers can do this sort of text rotation in the labels on the horizontal axis of graphs...

Can anyone explain how to do this?

Select the chart (graph) by clicking on it, then click on one of the x-axis labels to select the labels frame.

Open the Inspector and choose the Metrics inspector button (ruler icon). Use the rotate control at the bottom of the Inspector window.

Regards,
Barry

Vertical Text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.