Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mini display port to DVI not working?

Hi all,

A few hours ago I bought myself a mini displayport to DVI connector, however, I'm not getting it to work. My screen stays black and does not receive any signal My macbook also doesn't seem to find the screen. I've already returned to the store where I bought this and exchanged it for a new one, but it just doesn't work.

When I plug in my displayport to VGA connector and connect a VGA-cable to my external monitor, it does work. I'm bought this convertor to DVI because I need it everywhere except at home, so I can't leave it on VGA unfortunately

Does anyone here have a solution to this problem?

I am sure that my cable is working fine since it does work on a PC.
I've already tried resetting the PRAM (option + cmd + P + R at startup) but this didn't have any influence.
Also when I to the "detect displays" in the system preferences, the macbook doesn't find the screen.

I hope anyone here has a solution.

greetz

Macbook pro (2008), Mac OS X (10.6.4), new mini displayport to DVI convertor

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 9:47 AM

24 replies

Jan 7, 2011 6:08 PM in response to 607NBIWf4f1yvfe4AdDE

I too am having the same issue. I just bought a Samsung XL2370HD monitor/tv and can't get the mini display port to DVI connection working - from my MBP or my new MBA.
It's strange because it would work when connected to a friend's Dell monitor/tv the same way (via DVI).
Also, it works perfectly well when I use my mini display port to HDMI connector, with the HDMI adapter and cable.

It's frustrating! I chose this Samsung because it had both DVI and HDMI interfaces - I want to use the DVI for my laptop and the one HDMI connection for my Apple TV.

Do I need a driver? I didn't need one for the Dell AND I can't see one for Mac OS.

Any more thoughts anyone??

Jan 11, 2011 6:47 AM in response to AndrewLang

It's the Apple mini display to DVI adapter bought from the Apple store. The same laptop, cable and adapter worked fine with a friend's Dell monitor/tv - so I don't think it's a hardware issue with the adapter or cables. I even used DVI to HDMI cable I have, to successfully work with this Samsung monitor/tv, via it's DVI (I used my mini display to HDMI adapter into my laptop), so I know the DVI connector on the monitor is also working fine. Very strange. Certainly seems to point to a problem with the driver or lack of, but no driver for the Mac came with it, nor seems to be available online. Hmmm!

Jan 13, 2011 7:56 AM in response to soopaman

I have the same monitor, a Samsung XL2370HD and the same problem: can't connect my MBP with the miniDisplay Port to DVI to the Samsung monitor trough a DVI cable.
I have called to Samsung and they said that maybe the monitor could be incompatible with the MBP using the DVI cable, and they are going to take my monitor and trying to repair it (the warranty cover it), but they didn't assure me that this is going to work.

I have tried using other cables, and all of them work perfectly:
- DVI to HDMI
- HDMI to HDMI (using a miniDisplay Port to HDMI)

I hope this information help you, I'm still waiting for a driver or something that solve this problem with the DVI cable.

PD.: Sorry for my English!

Feb 3, 2011 5:41 PM in response to 607NBIWf4f1yvfe4AdDE

I'm having the same issue...for the most part and it's got me stumped. I've got a DVI to HDMI hookup to my Vizio 47" from my iMac running 10.6.6. Worked perfectly the first time I connected it. Beautiful picture. I left it connected about 20 minutes, then disconnected. The next time I tried...nothing. Thought the Dynex adapter I bought went bad...took it back to Best Buy and got the Apple miniDVI to DVI adapter. Once again, worked flawlessly at first. Problem solved, right? Shut down for the night. Tried the next day...nothing. Reinstalled entire OS on iMac thinking that was it since it works perfectly on my Macbook running 10.5.8. Obviously the cable and adapter are both fine since it works on the laptop. The screen's gone blue momentarily as if to work but then nothing again. Bad port on the iMac? Possibly. Answers please!

Feb 5, 2011 10:37 AM in response to 607NBIWf4f1yvfe4AdDE

I am having the same problem. It first appeared with my Macbook. When I upgraded from OS X 10.6.2 to 10.6.3, I could no longer get an image on my Viewsonic monitor. I get a solid blue screen and that's it. Once I rolled it back to OSX 10.6.2, my minidisplayport to DVI worked again and has worked ever since. I have just not updated the opsys as 10.6.3, 4, 5 and 6 have the same problem.

I have the same problem with my 2010 Macbook Pro. It came with 10.6.3 preinstalled and i have never been able to use the Viewsonic monitor with this machine.

This problem clearly started when Apple upgraded from OS X 10.6.2 to OS X 10.6.3 and beyond. For the life of me I cannot understand why they do not address this obvious video driver issue.

I gotta say, I NEVER had this type of an issue with my Windows machines and am seriously considering giving my Macs away and going back to Windows.

Apr 13, 2011 12:52 PM in response to ArtDiggy

Mini DVI is not the same thing as Mini DisplayPort - that's the slightly older technology. I'm guessing your iMac and Macbook are older than 3 years, are they?

Sorry I haven't got any suggestions to help you, but I think you might get better answers if you post under a thread on Mini DVI, rather than Mini DisplayPort - which this one is.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Apr 13, 2011 2:07 PM in response to fernando_0989

Hi fernando_0989,
thanks for your note.
I have done more investigating too. I realise that I missed an important piece of information, which may or may not make a difference.

My DVI-D to HDMI cable which works both ways round is a single link DVI (at the DVI end).
My DVI-D to DVI-D cable which is NOT working is a dual link DVI-D. All 24 pins are there.

Both single link and dual link fit the slots perfectly, that's why I thought it should work fine. But maybe that's the problem! I'm not going to buy a single link DVI-D cable to find out, as it's not worth spending the money on that when I have a work around with the other cable.

It is worth me mentioning it, however. What DVI type cable are you using?

Sep 6, 2012 9:56 AM in response to 607NBIWf4f1yvfe4AdDE

I Have the same issue. My macbook does see the screen in the settings, but the screen stays black. Different brand of monitor, however, I replaced the monitor for a new one (Same model and brand) and as it is unlikely to have two 'broken' monitors (i bought it from a different store than the first one) I suspect it has to do with the cable. I use a DUAL link DVI-D cable too just like reported here. However, I already anticipated the problem being causes by a DUAL link cable and ordered a SINGLE link cable. This cable should arrive shortly and hopefully this will solve the problem. If it does I will report back here.

mini display port to DVI not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.