Skip navigation

On button power failure -- causes intermittent start

13288 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2012 9:30 PM by bbolander RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
waltmorton Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 29, 2010 4:58 PM
This behavior started about one month ago on my 2008 mac pro. It does not seem identical to anything I have seen posted, so I discuss here. Previously the computer has been rock solid for two years. I have replaced the battery on the motherboard, updated to the the latest firmware, and reset the PMU. Here is the behavior:

1) When I hit the power on button. I hear a "click" then nothing happens.
2) If I unplug the computer from wall power, plug it back in, THEN when I hit the power on button the computer starts about 20% of the time. If it does not...
3) I find that opening the case, pulling one of the hard drives out (any of them) reinserting hard drive and then hitting the on button will get a successful start.

My conclusion is this is either:
1) A problem with the boot disk -- needs a reformat?
or
2) A problem with the power supply?
or
3) Something else?

Any ideas for solutions welcomed!

< Edited by Host >
Mac Pro 2008 Quad Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • macbig Level 4 Level 4 (1,655 points)
    That looks like a power supply issue.
    MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Mac Pro 2.66 Quad Core
  • FunkyRico Calculating status...
    Hello,

it seems I have a similar problem since this morning... it look like others with the same Mac Pro has this problem too...

1. Just after starting my day, I heard a "click" and suddenly my Mac Pro restarted (well try to) several time on itself . I had to manually push the power button to stop this.

2. After lot's of emotions I started it again... and It finally boot and goes fine for a few hours...
    (I quickly run a few backups... and did some hard disk testing, seems fine).

3. it happens again when the computer was "on sleep" as soon as I started it, the problem came again again the same way.

I am also suspecting a *power supply* issue (I never had this problem but I already had to replace the PCI video card on this computer)

I will try call Apple tomorrow to fix this.
    Did you get more info since from your side ?

Thanks,
    Eric
    MacPro 3.2 Ghz (early 2008) 8Go/4To — iPhone 3Gs 16Go, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 Quad 2.5Ghz 4Go/2To 10.4.11 (old sys: G4;G3B&W;PismoG3;Quadra650)
  • rickmusikstudios Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My early Mac Pro has a similar problem. It takes up to 30 reboots to get the start up chord and a steady "on" light. Once working it is fine all day but on the many occasions that it does not start first thing (can take up to half an hour every morning!!!) I get a slow blinking light and a black screen. I have changed the system disk with a clean install of Snow Leopard PRAM, tried disconnecting everything including internal disks, reseated the ram, taken out the PCI cards but the problem continues. It all seems to happen in the first couple of seconds. The fans come on but if the power light is blinking It won't start..however a steady on power light will mean that it will work. Any solutions or known issues?
    Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Mac Pro
  • FunkyRico Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Hi,

As indicated in my previous post (for me) my MacPro shutdown/restart after the first 5 min. I deactivated the "energy saving" to prevent suspending activity and it's fine for the rest of the day. To resolve temporarily the next start-up i've noticed that too: if I disconnect the plug before the first powering up, it almost goes fine afterwards without failure.

To me it definitively looks like a hardware problem (a power issue as Macbig said?). Also it seems my main system hard drive is disconnected during this problem, as time machine has to do a "Node requires deep traversal" afterwards too....) I still have a valid Applecare and I'll bring it to a certified apple expert as soon as I've finished my current design work. I'll let you when it will be fixed in the next one or two weeks (I hope).

to rick: if you have a blinking light (which I don't, it just clic/restart) look the following thread too.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12277302&#12277302

Good luck
    Eric
    MacPro 3.2 Ghz (early 2008) 8Go/4x1To — iPhone 3Gs 16Go, Mac OS X (10.5.8), PPC G5 Quad 2.5Ghz 4Go/2To 10.4.11 (old sys: G4;G3B&W;PismoG3;Quadra650)
    Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I still did not have the time to bring my MacPro to a certified expert, I will do it for sure but I need to finish a few works in progress... (I'm doing a lot's of backups then...).
    *My actual workaround is unplugging the power cord during the night, and it does not stop and stays on almost ~8 hours or more fine.*

To me, it cannot be the system, I'm using 10.5.8... but I also have 4 internal hardrives, Three PCI cards (display, small eSata controller, and blackmagic video card). I did not install any hardware since one year. So it's definitively a hardware issue, and the way it happen, it is certainly electric (I doubt that it's a RAM issue).

Good luck, I'll keep inform later,
    Eric
    MacPro 3.2 Ghz (early 2008) 8Go/4x1To — iPhone 3Gs-16Go, Mac OS X (10.5.8), PPCG5 Quad 2.5Ghz 4Go/2x1To 10.4.11 (old sys: G4;G3B&W;PismoG3;Quadra650)
    Just looking for other information in the meantime... i've found this:
    http://www.datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/samsung/SpinPoint+F1

As I have four of this Samsung HD 1 To, I was wondering about what's mentioned in the middle of the second paragraph:
    "(...) +Often bad power supply unit combined with power streak is enough to burn spindle driver chip on the electronics and make data inaccessible. Should this occur the computer would reboot itself or shutdown completely, you would normally notice acrid smell and smoke and the drive will no longer spin up.?+"

But as far I'm concerned, I don't have, smell, smoke or any data problem (yet). Btw it just "cut off" again after 5 hours of Power ON during an After Effect Render...

mmhhh...
    MacPro 3.2 Ghz (early 2008) 8Go/4x1To — iPhone 3Gs-16Go, Mac OS X (10.5.8), PPCG5 Quad 2.5Ghz 4Go/2x1To 10.4.11 (old sys: G4;G3B&W;PismoG3;Quadra650)
  • Paulwebb Calculating status...
    hi everyone.

I also have recently got this problem. Press power ON . and the Click sound and goes off. sometimes starts booting up for longer but then Click and OFF again. Then sometimes works for few hours and Click Off again.. Hardware tests (extended version) says "No trouble found". ha!!!

More odd thing today was when pressing "Build and Run" on XCode would keep shuting the computer down with that CLICK.. so I would restart (it restarted well today) . but again same with that... happened 10 times.. so looks connected when processor was making some effort. i just don't have an idea.

Computer is also a Mid 2008 Mac Pro...

Anyone found any solutions or diagnosis of what is going on...???? Gone though quite a few forums... clean this, change that, and for some it works, for others it doesn't .

I will also get this computer to a repair person.. and if they find a solution.. will post what i find.

oh dear..
    back to working on this slow old macbook and backing up everything 5 times a day.. just incase.
    mac pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), macbook, ipad, blah blah etc and an old g3 kicking around, and powerbook g4 (wellcool)
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (48,110 points)
    FunkyRico-

waltmorton says his problem was not affected by changing the coin cell battery on the motherboard. But yours may be.

If you have not tried a new BR 2032 3Volt Lithium coin cell battery, you should try that before any of the more expensive or disruptive options.
    Beige G3, G4/867, G4/dual 1.25 MDD, MacPro'09 w cheap SSD, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, and 9.2, 10.5 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter LQ
  • Paulwebb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I will see if removing USB make a difference. This morning its starting up fine and so far its working, so am waiting for the issue to return ( ) . Was surprised with google searching just how many many people have / had this issue, and for different models going back many years, and i also found some quite identical issues when search "random shutdown" in Youtube.
    mac pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), macbook, ipad, blah blah etc and an old g3 kicking around, and powerbook g4 (wellcool)
1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.