3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2010 7:15 AM by Király
DCIFRTHS Level 1 Level 1
I was about to wipe a disk tonight, so I booted from the OS X install DVD. I decided to try something in the interest of learning something new. I chose to reset the password on my admin account. Let's call the account "Joe". I was able to reset the password for Joe. without knowing the previous admin/user password.

When I rebooted, from he HD, I used the newly reset password to log in to the Joe account. I now had access to all of the files in the the user account folder. Is it really this easy to get to access to a user's home folder? What if FileVault had been enabled on the home folder before I reset the password, would I still have access to the files after resetting the password from the install disk?

Unibody 15" MBP - Mac mini - iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
Reply by noondaywitch on Oct 21, 2010 4:11 AM Helpful
Can't answer the Filevault question as I don't use it, but resetting the password from the original install disc is the normal way to access your account if you've forgotten the password.

That's why all my discs reside in a safe.

All replies

• noondaywitch Level 6 Level 6
    Can't answer the Filevault question as I don't use it, but resetting the password from the original install disc is the normal way to access your account if you've forgotten the password.

That's why all my discs reside in a safe.
  • robertd Level 1 Level 1
    Yeah, you will find that the macs are also pretty finicky about which install disks will work too for each model of Mac. That in itself is kind security. LOL..
  • Király Level 6 Level 6
    Yes, this is how to reset the password of any account. If an account had FileVault enabled, resetting the password this way won't unlock it. The only way to mount a FileVault image is to know the account or the master password, or to guess either.