Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password reset using install disk.

I was about to wipe a disk tonight, so I booted from the OS X install DVD. I decided to try something in the interest of learning something new. I chose to reset the password on my admin account. Let's call the account "Joe". I was able to reset the password for Joe. without knowing the previous admin/user password.

When I rebooted, from he HD, I used the newly reset password to log in to the Joe account. I now had access to all of the files in the the user account folder. Is it really this easy to get to access to a user's home folder? What if FileVault had been enabled on the home folder before I reset the password, would I still have access to the files after resetting the password from the install disk?

Unibody 15" MBP - Mac mini - iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 4:11 AM

Can't answer the Filevault question as I don't use it, but resetting the password from the original install disc is the normal way to access your account if you've forgotten the password.

That's why all my discs reside in a safe.
3 replies

Password reset using install disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.