Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Doesn't spotlight search contents of files?

Hi-

I am working on a G5 desktop running 10.4.3. I am searching for a file by its contents, specifically, a phrase that runs throughout the file, which is a Word document about 28 pages long. I have typed in several phrases which are inside this document, yet the document doesn't show up in the list of my found documents on Spotlight. However, I searched for the subtitle of the document, then it did show up. Isn't it supposed to search the contents of files, and why does it only seem to search sporadically?

In another case of bad searching, I am looking for documents saved in the program EndNote, titled 'jaeger', yet no results come up for this in Spotlight? Does it only search certain file types? If so, am I able to add other file types to this selected list?

Not too happy with Spotlight...
Thanks,
Mary

12" PowerBook G4, Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.3), Support multiple Mac computers...

Posted on Dec 8, 2005 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2005 4:42 PM

Hi, Mary,
Join the growing crowd of dissatisfied Tiger/Spotlight users.

Spotlight seemingly will only search within Word documents created with certain versions of Word, and then only if the extension ".doc" is added. Adding the extension to documents created with some versions of Word will not be indexed unless you open and Save the document; for me, that is totally unacceptable, as I need to retain the create date.

For the EndNote document, I don't have an answer (but, then again, no one else seems to either; look around this site and you'll find many, many other users with similar experience). I, too, experienced it-once too often, which is why:

I switched to Tiger because of Spotlight. I switched back to Panther because of Spotlight.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but Apple's got to get involved with this, and the sooner the better. They're losing credibility every day.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2005 4:42 PM in response to mely

Hi, Mary,
Join the growing crowd of dissatisfied Tiger/Spotlight users.

Spotlight seemingly will only search within Word documents created with certain versions of Word, and then only if the extension ".doc" is added. Adding the extension to documents created with some versions of Word will not be indexed unless you open and Save the document; for me, that is totally unacceptable, as I need to retain the create date.

For the EndNote document, I don't have an answer (but, then again, no one else seems to either; look around this site and you'll find many, many other users with similar experience). I, too, experienced it-once too often, which is why:

I switched to Tiger because of Spotlight. I switched back to Panther because of Spotlight.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but Apple's got to get involved with this, and the sooner the better. They're losing credibility every day.

Dec 9, 2005 2:17 AM in response to mely

HI, Mary.

You wrote:
" I am searching for a file by its contents, specifically, a phrase..."
Spotlight does not support phrase search. While some think it does, it does not. The facilities in Search Kit, which performs the content indexing and searching for Spotlight, for phrase support are not enabled in Spotlight's indexing setup. If you search for a phrase, e.g. blue moon, it will find documents containing both blue and moon. If one of the results contains the phrase, it is purely because the document contains both words, not because it contains the phrase.

You wrote:
"I am looking for documents saved in the program EndNote...Does it only search certain file types? If so, am I able to add other file types to this selected list?"
Spotlight only searches what it can index, unless the search argument is a Raw Query consisting only of File System Metadata.

Spotlight can only index documents for which it has associated Spotlight Plug-ins.

If the format of End Note documents does not conform to the types of documents for which Spotlight plug-ins are installed on your computer, it will not index those documents, hence it will not find them in search, specifically a search for their contents.

A check of both Apple's list of third-party Spotlight plug-ins and the EndNote Web Site indicates there is no Spotlight plug-in available for EndNote documents. You should contact the EndNote folks to ask if they are planning to develop a Spotlight plug-in for their product.

Note that some of the information above is from the "Spotlight" chapter of my book, Troubleshooting Mac® OS X, Tiger Edition.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

---
Note: The information provided in the link(s) above is freely available. However, because I own The X Lab™, a commercial Web site to which some of these links point, the Apple Discussions Terms of Use require I include the following disclosure statement with this post:

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

PM G5 Dual 2.3GHz, iBook 700, more! Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Dec 9, 2005 4:02 AM in response to mely

Actually, I do have a couple of suggestions (assuming that you are using EndNote v. 9.0). First, make sure that the EndNote folder containing the application is in your "Applications" folder as the Spotlight plug-in will not work if it is located elsewhere. Also, you need to turn on Spotlight indexing for all the EndNote databases that you wish to search via Spotlight. This is done with the "Preferences>Libraries>Enable Spotlight Support" option within EndNote 9.0.

Doesn't spotlight search contents of files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.