Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie '11 support sharing movies in HD with iTunes to play on new ATV

Does iMovie '11 allow for sharing movies in HD (720 or 1080) with iTunes to then be played on the new Apple TV? Cannot find a way to do that with iMovie '09 and was hoping they added this feature to '11.

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 6:48 PM

9 replies

Oct 22, 2010 8:34 AM in response to jmarro

KBeat is right!

Here are all the supported video formats with the new Apple TV

*Video formats*
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, with AAC-LC audio, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, AAC-LC audio, 48kHz, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Information above is from the following page: http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Oct 27, 2010 5:19 AM in response to grous

The 720p preset output from iMovie is 30fps, even if you imported it as 24. If you're using the 720p export preset, it won't play on the older Apple TV. You have to use the "Large" preset.

FWIW: The difference between the two is subtle, and depending on the size of your television, you may not even be able to see the difference.

May 24, 2011 4:28 AM in response to Brewster B

That's correct - instead, you need to export it as follows:

Share->Export using Quicktime...

Choose "Movie to MPEG4" and click Options

In the Video Tab, choose

File Format: MP4

Video Format: H.264

Data Rate: 4000 kbits/sec

Image Size: 1280 x 720 HD

Frame Rate: 24

Key Frame: Automatic

Video Options: Choose "Main" and "Best Quality"

Back in the main Video tab, choose

Optimized for: CD / DVD-ROM

In the Audio Tab, choose:

AAC-LC (probably will be your only choice)

Data Rate: 256kbps (Choose lower if you're not bothered so much about audio quality)

Channels: (just pick the highest available)

Output Sample Rate: 44.100kHz

Encoding Quality: Best (can be lowered if you prefer)

In the Streaming Tab, make sure you uncheck the "Enable streaming" box.

Click OK to close the MPEG-4 Export Settings window, then Save to create the file.

When you're done, you can drag this file into iTunes and then sync it to your old AppleTV, where it will play in 720p24.

May 24, 2011 4:47 AM in response to KBeat

KBeat wrote:

The 720p preset output from iMovie is 30fps, even if you imported it as 24. If you're using the 720p export preset, it won't play on the older Apple TV. You have to use the "Large" preset.

FWIW: The difference between the two is subtle, and depending on the size of your television, you may not even be able to see the difference.

I couldn't disagree more; the 720p setting is almost twice the resolution of the "Large" setting.

The "Large" setting is closer to standard definition PAL than it is to an HD picture, and on a 32" HD Television, I can confirm that the difference is very noticable (when the source is an HD camera filming at 1080i or 1080p).

For reference:

720p = 1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels

Large = 960 x 540 = 518,400 pixels

Standard Def PAL = 720 x 576 = 414,720 pixels

Jun 7, 2011 8:45 PM in response to m0thr4

Hi m0thr4

I have also been perplexed recently with regards to getting the best quality out of a HD 1080 camera through to an Apple TV 2. Here is a list of some dilemas.

Briefly, I imported footage of a Sony HDR XR550 which records in HD1080. Originally when I went to import into imovie 11 you recieve a warning that if you import by selecting Full - original size that the computer may result in degraded video playback. The only other option is large - and with my limited understanding this would reduce the quality basically to standard def. I contacted apple support and they suggested stay with original - Why the warning? - i am using the latest i7 MacBook pro.

Then, after completing the project i went to share with the Apple TV2 and the predetermined or suggest sizes did not include the 720p option which is HD. Is the reason for this because of the original apple tv??

I contacted Apple support again and they suggested I follow your prompts in the above comment.

My question is - For playing home movies of the family on a Panasonic 50inch HD TV through an Apple TV2 should I simply share my movies from Imovie 11 by selecting the 720p option or share my movies via your method suggested above then importing into itunes.

Please help as I would like to get this right from the start and then this will be how I share from then on.

Thanks for your help. Kevin.

Does iMovie '11 support sharing movies in HD with iTunes to play on new ATV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.