Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come my mac doesn't remember my preferred wireless network?

I have to pick it out of a list every time. I have deleted the network and recreated it, but not luck. Is there a preference file I need to trash and then restart my computer? This started happening out of nowhere.

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 9:01 PM

The preferences for networks are in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/
There are, I believe, 3 files that you can drag to trash. preferences.plist, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, & NetworkInterfaces.plist. Then restart. This should restore your network settings to default. The airport preferences file stores your saved networks.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2010 9:01 PM in response to Sox Fan 670

The preferences for networks are in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/
There are, I believe, 3 files that you can drag to trash. preferences.plist, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, & NetworkInterfaces.plist. Then restart. This should restore your network settings to default. The airport preferences file stores your saved networks.

Mar 19, 2011 11:01 AM in response to Sox Fan 670

Thanks to eveyone that replied. None of the suggestions fixed my problem, but they look like they fixed at least one other person's, kudos to all of you. I ultimately "fixed" the problem by reformatting the drive and reinstalling snow leopard. I did NOT elect to transfer my Settings when I used Migration Assistant to move the stuff from my backup. Extreme? Yep, but it worked. Warning if you have Norton Antivirus 11, if you do what I did, NAV gets screwed up and you will likely need to email NAV support for a newer version.

How come my mac doesn't remember my preferred wireless network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.