8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2012 9:33 AM by macusr819
Sox Fan 670 Level 1 (0 points)
I have to pick it out of a list every time. I have deleted the network and recreated it, but not luck. Is there a preference file I need to trash and then restart my computer? This started happening out of nowhere.

Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • PaulKemp Level 1 (135 points)
    The preferences for networks are in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/
    There are, I believe, 3 files that you can drag to trash. preferences.plist, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, & NetworkInterfaces.plist. Then restart. This should restore your network settings to default. The airport preferences file stores your saved networks.
  • William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 (10,515 points)
    Sox Fan 670 wrote:
    I have to pick it out of a list every time.

Besides trashing the preference files mentioned in Paul Kemp's post, if you select the AirPort connection item in the Network panel of System Preferences and click the Advanced button, have you checked "Remember networks this computer has joined"?
  • Sox Fan 670 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the info. I tried rebuilding them, but that didn't do the trick. I will keep searching for an answer to this.
    Looks like my settings were set as you suggested. Thanks for the tip.
  • nat_man Level 1 (0 points)
    Hey Paul. I've been having the same problem for months. I trashed the plist files that you said to and it worked! Thanks for sharing!

Message was edited by: nat_man
    Thanks to eveyone that replied. None of the suggestions fixed my problem, but they look like they fixed at least one other person's, kudos to all of you. I ultimately "fixed" the problem by reformatting the drive and reinstalling snow leopard. I did NOT elect to transfer my Settings when I used Migration Assistant to move the stuff from my backup. Extreme? Yep, but it worked. Warning if you have Norton Antivirus 11, if you do what I did, NAV gets screwed up and you will likely need to email NAV support for a newer version.
  • Csound1 Level 8 (46,972 points)
    Don't use Norton AV on your Mac

Red or White Sox?
  • macusr819 Level 1 (0 points)

I know that this is an old thread, but your solution saved my butt! I've been working on this issue for hours. Problem now solved! Thanks a million.

Mac OS X (10.7.3)