Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Peer to peer networking with a PC runing Windows XP

I tired to link my desktop Dell PC (running XP Home Edition) with my new PB G4 12" wirelessly. I am just wondering whether it is possible to setup the network (using the XP ICS) so that the Dell is the server and PB being the client?

I installed a wireless adapter on my Dell (which is connected to internet using a DSL modem (AOL))and set up a peer to peer network. It appears that the PB did recieve the signal and I was able to connect to the network.

I ran the XP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) wisard on Dell and shared the DSL adapter. And my PB got its TCP/IP settings automatically using DHCP

I ran ping on both machines and it appears that the connection is okay. However I cannot see mac on my Dell, nor can I see the PC on my PB desktop. I tried to use the connect to server command in the Finder, and typing
smb://[dell server name] (also tried smb://[dell ip]). I got error message saying no server found. I cannot access the internet on PB either. This is true even if I switched the windows firewall off.

I am puzzled as the mac did connect to the Dell. I am a little suspecious about the microsoft ICS, because if i am going to connect to my Dell using a XP PC then I have to run a network setup wisard on the client. I don't know how could you setup a mac ICS client. May be just obtaining TCP/IP using DHCP wasn't enough? Or perhaps it is a problem with AOL?

So at the mement my PB cannot access the internet nor share file with the Dell. The PB is my first apple computer and i have been using windows before. It will be great if i can link the PB and dell together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Powerbook G4 12", Mac OS X (10.4), Dell PC Windows XP

Posted on Dec 8, 2005 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2005 7:04 PM

I've found that running the XP Network Setup helps with problems seeing computers over the network. I have NO idea why MS decided to go this route, because in 2000, you could see any computer, including itself without having to run the Network Wizard.

Anyway, try that, and make sure you setup your workgroup as just WORKGROUP for simplicity. You don't have to run any kind of network wizard on the mac. The only think you may have to do is turn on Windows Sharing in the System Preferences so your XP machine can see the mac..
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2005 7:04 PM in response to tong

I've found that running the XP Network Setup helps with problems seeing computers over the network. I have NO idea why MS decided to go this route, because in 2000, you could see any computer, including itself without having to run the Network Wizard.

Anyway, try that, and make sure you setup your workgroup as just WORKGROUP for simplicity. You don't have to run any kind of network wizard on the mac. The only think you may have to do is turn on Windows Sharing in the System Preferences so your XP machine can see the mac..

Dec 28, 2005 6:29 AM in response to Jorge G.

Thank you very much for your help!

I managed to see/mount the PC on my OS X desktop. So I was able to share files with the PC. However I am still unable to find the mac on my Dell. Where should I find it? I could not see it in "my network places" folder. Should I run the Network Setup again?

I tried it the otherway around too, by using mac as a server. I have turned on the Windows sharing and file sharing etc on my mac. But when connected, the dell still won't see mac. Should I also run Network Setup on dell? But it is strange if I need to do this.

About internet sharing, I am guessing the problem was actually AOL. I phoned them about the ad-hoc network, and they simply said it won't work. I even tried to connect a toshiba labtop to the dell, and the internet won't work either (or perhaps I did something wrong). So I give up on sharing the network at home. I can bring the Powerbook to the University and it works fine.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Peer to peer networking with a PC runing Windows XP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.