Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change hard disk on imac 27" mid 2010

Hi all,

I have an Imac 27" mid 2010,and I want change my hd, the first hd in imac is a seagate barracuda 1 tb, but now I want upgrade with a seagate 2tb;last week I tried to put a seagate barracuda lp 2 tb, but the fans runs fast, so what hd can put in imac ? an barracuda 5900 2 tb (not lp) can be use ?

very thanks for answering.

imac 27", Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 2:36 AM

10 replies

Oct 22, 2010 9:26 AM in response to macbikermac

As noted above, the replacement drive must have the same built in temperature sensor as the factory drive. Your best bet is to just reinstall the factory drive in the iMac and put that 2GB in a good FireWire 800 enclosure.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/External-Enclosures/
http://www.thefind.com/computers/info-firewire-800-enclosure
http://www.directron.com/35enclosure.html

Oct 23, 2010 2:33 AM in response to macbikermac

thanks to everyone...

I have another question... I opened my imac and there isn't no seals, no red screws or whatever, now I want buy an applecare so, if my imac have problems in the future, the tech assistant of apple can realize that I have opened imac ?, I'm really upset, there is someone that can give me a precise answer ?

thank you very much.

Oct 23, 2010 8:59 AM in response to macbikermac

This appears to be someone's opinion (from 2006), so FWIW

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232754

If you do a search for "opening mac void warranty" you will get different opinions. It may boil down to how carefully you opened it (and how deeply you went) and put it back together again. Cosmetically, the new iMacs appear to be very complex beasts to open "cleanly." Lots of components and connectors in a very small space. If you didn't actually make an obvious change to or replace a component, then there would be less justification for blaming any future problems on what you did. And, perhaps -- and here I'm only guessing -- if there is no explicit Apple directive to the stores or techs about this, as I gathered might be so from one of the threads I looked at, it may, unfortunately (or fortunately), be left to the discretion of the tech or store manager who first looks at your computer, and you may be at his or her mercy.

I don't know if you will be able to get a "precise" answer here. Why not call one of the Apple Stores and discretely put this question to a manager or tech.

Oct 23, 2010 9:57 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I haven't read the entire document, but this passage at the beginning stands out immediately.

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
(ii) _Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification,_ extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

According to that, it would appear you can open it and even modify it as long as you don't cause any damage. Of course, Apple could decide that your "installation, repair, or maintenance" was directly or indirectly responsible for whatever current problem you are experiencing. But it would appear, at least from that language, that simply opening up the computer would not necessarily automatically void the warranty.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Oct 24, 2010 2:45 PM in response to macbikermac

thanks guys!, so for now, I'll buy an applecare in the last month of the first year of warranty...

Now, I would like to say this:

If Apple, don't want that none can open the imac, macmini, iphone and so on, Apple certainly in somehow, apply in their products a sort of "sigil".(my personal opinion)

So it is explained why Apple says :

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification,extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes.

I repeat that is my logical opinion(I think).

change hard disk on imac 27" mid 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.