Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URL could not be found errors suddenly occuring, again

Hello Apple iTunes U staff and users,

I'm writing on Oct 22, 2010. This past April, a staffperson in our Pharmacy school posted to these discussion forums the following issue: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2410734&tstart=0

We're now getting reports from students in a different department who access iTunes U in a different way (through a Blackboard building block) of the same issue. The last time, the issue cleared up within about 24 hours. I'm still monitoring the issue this time to see whether it's cleared up yet or not, but I know it lasted a day or two at least, possibly more, and still may be occurring.

Basically, when trying to download certain files from an iTunes U course page, an exclamation point will appear to the left of the file in the iTunes U section of the user's iTunes library. Clicking on the exclamation point brings up a pop-up window with an error message that says:

There was a problem downloading "<title>". The URL "<address>" could not be found on the server.

We'd like an explanation from Apple of why this happens and any advice on how to avoid it. I've found that I can get the files to download (after receiving this error) by going back to the course in iTunes U and clicking "Get Tracks," but this creates duplicate collections in the iTunes U section of the user's library and is not a good solution long-term. Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 1:58 PM

13 replies

Oct 26, 2010 7:55 AM in response to David_E_C

Hi,

Can you provide some additional information?

Does this happen with all downloads or just some?

When a track that can't be downloaded, is it all users that can't download it or just some?

When you login as an administrator can you download the track?

Can you please copy and paste the URL to 3 tracks that are having this problem. Then I can better investigate.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2010 1:18 PM in response to Duncan Bernhardt

Hi Duncan et al

I work at a University where we are porting RSS feeds from an Echo 360 server to our course collections, and it has been relatively stable for a year and a half or so.

However, starting last night, I received approx 150 email notifications similar exactly to the kind David is reporting. We're used to getting occasional false positives from Apple, but they only come one or two at a time. This was a wave.

I verified that the course collections are indeed failing to update the feeds from the iTunes U admin interface. However, the feeds are resolving perfectly fine within the browser, and there have been no changes to the Echo server which would have disrupted the feeds.

As of now, I am still unable to manually update any of these feeds. I will gladly provide more info offline, Duncan, should you wish. Feel free to contact me.

Best,
-Steve

Oct 28, 2010 8:12 AM in response to MactronixNYC

Update to my post from last night: I am now successfully updating RSS collections manually. The last email notification I received was about 6 hours ago. I'm not sure if the issue is 'resolved' or if I will continue to receive false positive emails about collections that are successfully updating. But most importantly, the iTunes U collections are now updating, so I'm happy.

Duncan, or anyone on Apple's end, any insight? We had >24 hrs of downtime for all of our RSS collections, with no discernible cause.

Thanks!
-S

Nov 4, 2010 2:37 PM in response to Duncan Bernhardt

Duncan,

Thanks for your reply. I just did another test and received the same error again. The test I did was trying to download a file titled "He And She" from https://deimos.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/BrowsePrivately/su.edu.2466338216.0 2466338224

The indvidual file URL is https://deimos.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Feed/su.edu.2466338216.02466338225/ 5587FC0A-A595-D5CB-7503-1E3613C73F40%40su.edu/004cc1f41482b5988a640b3500cad659d9 1f5221714185a939b58276a99fe82376bd99ac16

The same is happening with multiple other files in the same course page; I have not yet tested files in other course pages.

Nov 22, 2010 7:23 AM in response to David_E_C

We're experiencing something similar with some of our files... but a little bit different.

When you click on the 'Get' icon, there is a popup error message:
"There was a problem with "Media File Name". An unknown error occurred (-2114)."

I've seen a couple of different icons associated with this popup -- I'm getting an exlamation point stopsign with the iTunes symbol on it, while another user is getting a red circle containing a white X.

Not all files on our system are causing this problem.

Any thoughts?

URL could not be found errors suddenly occuring, again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.