Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to refresh subscribed calendar from google on iphone

i have a google calendar which i subscribe to on iCal and on my iphone. but it syncs up VERY slowly, and lately i've noticed it will be completely out of sync. i have found that i must turn off the calendar in settings, delete all data, then turn it back on in order to ensure that it's acutally in sync. i often see the lil network wheel spinning which i assume means it's syncying with the server. i'll watch it spin, then stop. i check the calendar and it still doesnt sync. seems to take 10 mins or so before it picks up new events if ever.

is there a way to manually force it to sync like in iCal on the mac? i find the calendar app very unreliable, which ***** in a calendar program which i rely on to keep me informed of events.

btw: i've found that there are two ways i can add the calendar to my iphone. if i just sync with my mobile me account, i will automatically get the calendars that i've suscribed to on my mac. it also shows my suscribed calendars on my iphone. if i turn that on as well, i get duplicate events on my iphone. i've tried turning off the subscribed calendar on my iphone, or turning off the calendar in my calendar options (not the settings app for the phone, but just hitting the calendars button in the calendar app). both seem to suffer from the same super slow and unreliable syncing.

any help out there?

dav

iOS 4

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 10:55 AM

Why ins't there a button to manually push the calendar to update?

I'm having the same problem. Didn't have the problem until upgrading to OS4 two weeks ago. The wheel spins for 1 sec. but updates nothing. If I put appointments on the iPhone, they don't show on my desktop Google calendars, and vise versa. It always worked fine before the upgrade, then for a few times after the upgrade. Also, there is no button to force an update. I'm not sure why it would stop working without changing any settings. I have verified the settings and set it to push every hour, but the calendar only updates once every day or two. It's not Google Calendar that's the problem, as that works fine on all my other computers.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2010 10:55 AM in response to davschmav

Why ins't there a button to manually push the calendar to update?

I'm having the same problem. Didn't have the problem until upgrading to OS4 two weeks ago. The wheel spins for 1 sec. but updates nothing. If I put appointments on the iPhone, they don't show on my desktop Google calendars, and vise versa. It always worked fine before the upgrade, then for a few times after the upgrade. Also, there is no button to force an update. I'm not sure why it would stop working without changing any settings. I have verified the settings and set it to push every hour, but the calendar only updates once every day or two. It's not Google Calendar that's the problem, as that works fine on all my other computers.

Jan 12, 2011 12:26 PM in response to davschmav

Any solution on this?? I have a similar problem though its all Apple products/services.

My TripIt subscription on iCal on the Mac gets updated but my iPhone doesn't seem to get the update. I have checked that the Mac has re synced to MobileMe.

The only solution I have found is to shutdown & restart my iPhone and then the calendar updates are there almost immediately.

I've tried ending Calendar on the iPhone (double click & - button)and then relaunching Calendar but that hasn't worked.

Is there another/better way to force the iPhone to refresh the subscribed Calendar updates.

BTW other [non subscription] Calendar updates on iCal seem to make it to the iPhone just fine ... and vice versa.

TIA
Barry

Jan 27, 2011 12:18 PM in response to bazone

bazone wrote:
Any solution on this?? I have a similar problem though its all Apple products/services.

My TripIt subscription on iCal on the Mac gets updated but my iPhone doesn't seem to get the update. I have checked that the Mac has re synced to MobileMe.

The only solution I have found is to shutdown & restart my iPhone and then the calendar updates are there almost immediately.

I've tried ending Calendar on the iPhone (double click & - button)and then relaunching Calendar but that hasn't worked.

Is there another/better way to force the iPhone to refresh the subscribed Calendar updates.

BTW other [non subscription] Calendar updates on iCal seem to make it to the iPhone just fine ... and vice versa.

TIA
Barry

I'm seeing the EXACT same behavior (TripIt subscription not updating on iPhone). I can't find a way to force a refresh on the iPhone or iPad. The reboot does work though. Ugh...not optimal.

Feb 11, 2011 8:53 AM in response to davschmav

Same thing here although I have noticed a little quirk. When I receive an email on the iPhone, the Google calendar refreshes. I know--that's lame but for most practical purposes it will work. Most of us receive email frequently enough that our calendar events will be sufficiently up-to-date.

Apple should fix this, but it's not a critical issue for me.

Mar 20, 2011 9:37 AM in response to davschmav

I have the same issue with my TripIt subscription and the iPhone.

The TripIt subscription updates without a problem in iCal on my MacBook but it takes forever (if ever?) on the iPhone. I also reboot the iPhone to "force" an update of the TripIt subscription. And the problem has only started lately (in the past month)? It used to work fine.

As others have posted, my regular calendars update fine between iCal and the iPhone.

Ditto the suggestion for an iPhone calendar (at least subscription) refresh option.

Message was edited by: Kevin in NYC

Apr 25, 2011 6:18 AM in response to davschmav

Try quitting the app using the multitasking pane. When you reopen, it seems to do a full sync. You may need to wait a few seconds, but you should see the progress wheel spinning in the top toolbar of the phone window.

1. Go to home screen

2. Double click home button

3. Press and hold calendar icon in multitasking pane

4. Tap red minus sign

5. Double click home button again

6. Tap calendar icon to reopen calendar app

Does this work for you?

Oct 6, 2011 12:34 PM in response to davschmav

@T. Carlson. Did not work for me. This did:

1. iPhone>Settings>Mail/Contacts/Calendar>GoogleCal>Turn account OFF

2. Open Calendar (nothing from GoogleCal should be there)

3. Force-close Calendar (follow1-4 in @T.Carlson post)

4. iPhone>Settings>Mail/Contacts/Calendar>GoogleCal>Turn account ON

5. Open Calendar (everything from GoogleCal should be there)

Sep 22, 2012 10:56 AM in response to davschmav

On iCal Mountain Lion -

1.Open the sidebar using the Calendars button on the top left if not already open.

2. The TripIt calendar should have an antenna icon next to it - right click for the options menu and choose refresh.

3. Quitting and restarting iCal also worked for me.

I was looking for this answer to get rid of a deleted trip. For some reason it did not refresh automatically, but I was able to refresh manually.

Feb 28, 2013 7:43 AM in response to mike540

Mike540

I found a fairly simple solution that seems to be consistent.

On your iPhone make a test entry in Google Calendar.

Also make a new entry on your computer.

Delete the test entry.

The new computer entry should refresh with the deletion.

Seems to be consistently working for me.

I am using an application specific password for Google Calendar, just started doing that. It could have something to do with the refresh working for me.

how to refresh subscribed calendar from google on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.