Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes import doesn't recognize artist/album names

Hi,
I have my music directory organized as imported from Windows Media Player:
\Music\Artist\Album\
When I add the \Music\ directory to my iTunes (ver. 10.0.0.68) library it doesn't recognize the artist or album info, and I get a long list of songs with no organization. How can I get iTunes to recognize this very intuitive organization??
thanks!

Lenovo X61, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 10:05 AM

5 replies

Oct 23, 2010 12:09 PM in response to puddies23

If you still have a copy of the files in their original folders so they have a path something like *<Some Folders>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext>* then I have a script called TagFromFilename.vbs that might help. It's no use if iTunes has already moved the files into the *Unknown Artist\Unknown Album* folder, but if you have the original structure turn off *Keep iTunes Media folder organised* and *Copy to iTunes Media folder when adding to the library* before reimporting the tracks, then use the script to update the tags.

If it's too late for that script to help, or you just want an alternative approach, try MusicBrainz Picard which attempts to create an audio fingerprint for each file and match it with an online database. If succesful you can let it update the tags with the information it has found. iTunes won't "know" if you update the tags with a third party tool but you can use my script UpdateTagInfo.vbs for that.

iTunes import doesn't recognize artist/album names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.