Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod touch 4g not connecting to iHome

I just got my second 4g iPod Touch, (the first one dropped and the screen cracked), and it isn't connecting to my iHome. The first 4g that I had worked perfectly fine the very first time I plugged it in, and it worked up until it dropped, but the new one doesn't even show the message that says, "This device is not compatible...", it just sits there without charging or anything. All the other ipods in my house work perfectly fine with the iHome, and the new 4g will connect to my computer perfectly fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Ipod Touch 4G, iOS 4

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 8:25 PM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2010 10:26 PM in response to emgor

I have another brand clock radio iPod charger and was using it with older iPods. New G4 Touch no longer charges, but I can still listen to it through the radio. I called the radio company and they confirmed the newer iPod will not charge. No fix.

One thing you might try: If the iHome has an aux jack, plug it into the earphone jack of the iPod. You should be able to listen, but it still won't charge. I bought an relatively inexpensive AC adapter for the G4 so I can keep it juiced and still listen to it through the radio.

The iPods are like Barbi Dolls. There's always a new "outfit" or accessory to buy for it.

Also my older car charger does not fit.

Oct 29, 2010 4:53 AM in response to Brian Montgomery

Hello,
The ipod 4th generation is physically different then the other touch devices the dimensions are not the same so in short the docking of the ipod 4th gen into a product design for the ipod touch/iphone will not be correct and there will be play in the connections causing problems and damage. Please check the product you're using and see if the manufacturer or someone offers a docking adaptor that will work so you don't void your Apple warranty.

Dec 6, 2010 4:42 PM in response to Brian Montgomery

I just spent an hour with Apple accessories customer service. What I am afraid of is that the IHome dock/dual alarm/speaker (mine is IH9) systems may NOT be COMPATIBLE with the 3rd and 4th generation devices.

If you can dock your device, but it does not charge, nor play thru the speakers, then maybe it is a 'platform' issue? What the service person told me is to pay for the $60 Apple Universal Dock, and the Belkin 3.5 mm audio connectors, then dock my ITouch 4th gen into the Universal Dock, connect the dock and IHome with the audio connectors....

Has anyone tried this before I sink another $80-$100 to see if it works? Before I spend this much more $$$, I wish one of the Apple techs would rig this up at their office, then post on here if it will work.

Thanks!

Ipod touch 4g not connecting to iHome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.