Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2010 and remote control

Does anyone tried if new MacBook Air (2010) works with Apple remote control (infrared)?

Macbook Air, Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 3:54 AM

No there is no IR to work with the Apple Remote control but I read from another post that you can use an i Phone to remotely do same thing ie change slides and use front page on MBA - Not sure how to diothis but would like to know please in easy to follow steps..
34 replies

Oct 24, 2010 5:43 AM in response to Zapdoc

Another deal breaker after no backlit keyboard. 😟

to use iPhone as a remote controller for slides you need "Remote" application on your iPhone and you need to have a Wi-Fi network to connect your computer and iPhone to the same network. Usually not possible if your're doing a presentation at remote location. Remote is great if your're just doing presentation but now it is gone. 😟
Stupid Apple.

Oct 24, 2010 3:11 PM in response to PiotrPoznan

OK, now THIS is ridiculous. I've already ordered the 13", and now I am to understand that I can't use it for keynote presentations because there is no remote control? I thought deleting the backlit keyboard was silly but no big deal. This is a complete deal breaker. I was so excited and now so disappointed. This is actually haard to believe!

Oct 25, 2010 4:37 PM in response to PiotrPoznan

PiotrPoznan wrote:
to use iPhone as a remote controller for slides you need "Remote" application on your iPhone and you need to have a Wi-Fi network to connect your computer and iPhone to the same network. Usually not possible if your're doing a presentation at remote location. Remote is great if your're just doing presentation but now it is gone.

What remote application are you referring to that requires WiFi? The two applications I've used are the Apple Remote for iTunes and the Keynote Remote (both Apple apps). Both work perfectly fine using a Computer-to-Computer network where WiFi is not present. Yes it requires a little technical competency but it's very possible.

Oct 26, 2010 5:47 PM in response to Zapdoc

Search for 'remote' in the App store. There are a plethora of options. (I use Mobile Mouse Pro.) Whichever app you select will have clear instructions on how to operate the app with your laptop.

Normally, they require you to download a 1.5mb application (on your laptop) that acts as a server to detect and 'talk' to your remote. Once both the app on your phone or iPad are installed and the downloaded other downloaded application is running on your laptop, you should be able to control presentations, media, etc...

Oct 27, 2010 9:52 AM in response to Jim Kohn

Jim Kohn wrote:
Just spoke to Apple and confirmed: Apple remote (or any IR remote) does NOT work with MacBook Air. Unbelievable. What were they thinking? And the "workaround"? http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK703LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

If Apple is suggesting a remote solution like this one that requires a USB receiver, I certainly hope the shielding issue has been worked out from the original MBA that made the trackpad useless when the MBA is too close to some projectors.

My wife uses a MBA to speak at conferences. If she is too close to some projectors, she has to plug in the mouse to even start a slideshow. This is especially an issue if you're demoing software.

I think some kind of Bluetooth remote would be better if one's available that works with Keynote or PowerPoint.

Nov 3, 2010 7:43 AM in response to PiotrPoznan

Oh, Gees. I love Apple's products and usually support decisions on changes, but have just bought a new Air 13 and discovered this lack of remote, right before a trip to China and Japan. Yes, we buy these beautiful light computers to travel and present -- loosing the remote is HUGE. I'm going to be scrambling to find a good solution, but I doubt that anything is as elegant as the Apple remote (on the older/other machines) for KeyNote presentations. Arrrggghhh.

Nov 4, 2010 12:29 PM in response to John Ralph

Simple solution - buy Rowemote Pro for iPhone/iPod Touch from the App Store (€4.99 or £2.99), download the free Rowemote Helper from the developers web site (URL can be found in the App Store) and install on the MBA and then you can remotely control the MBA from your iPhone/iPod Touch via WiFi.
When away from your base station create a temporary 'MBA to iPhone' network. 1) Click on the Airport Icon in the menu bar on the MBA; 2) Click on Create Network; 3) Make up a name for the network and click on OK; 4) On the iPhone go to Settings > WiFi and join the newly created network; 4) Open Rowemote Pro on the iPhone and connect to the network.

Nov 4, 2010 1:24 PM in response to D J Hales

You're missing a trick (if u have iPhone).

Get Remote Pad app.

If u have no wi-fi network (presentation in bored room), get yr MBA, set Airport to create network (you'll need to assign a name, optional if u create a password), then set yr iPhone to connect up to yr network. Doesn't matter if no wi-fi. Yr MBA has created a network and yr iPhone, c/w remote pad app can then control everything.

MacBook Air 2010 and remote control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.