Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10 days to copy 1.14 TB of data between devices?

I have been aware of horribly slow times trying to copy large amounts of data between external device most notably NAS units involved ethernet. That said, I've got two RAID 5 units of the same size and am trying to backup one to the other. The estimated time is about 240 hours...was running all last night and did about 100GB at best.

Does anybody truly know what this issue is and why it's never been addressed? There are many postings on the net about these sorts of issues but I've yet to find one that actually explains it. (Yes they are formatted properly which shouldn't make a difference e.g. AFP vs SMB etc) No, this doesn't happen in Windows. (and no, I'm no fan...just pointing that out for troubleshooting purposes)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 8:33 AM

5 replies

Oct 24, 2010 9:01 AM in response to Osolemio

That was the story side.

I think it would go into Networking, here, or even on Snow Leopard.

Then, people will want to know more about your switches and setup and any bandwidth, along with where and how your devices are connected and setup.

People use NAS servers like an HP and very often will upgrade the RAM and cpu to dual-core to get better performance.

And if it works using Windows, nothing wrong or need to disavow or not be a fan of something that gets the job done.

And lastly, there are some - not a lot - of threads in Mac Pro Networking section.

Oct 24, 2010 9:19 AM in response to Osolemio

Just to be clear for me. Is this direct drive to drive or are these RAIDs transferring over a network. If the latter is it by Ethernet or wireless and at what protocol, e.g., gigabit Ethernet, 5 GHz "n" wireless, etc.?

If this is a direct drive to drive via internal bus or FW800 then the transfer should take between 12 and 15 hours as a guesstimate. If by wireless it could take up to 10 days depending upon the protocol and number of small files.

Oct 24, 2010 9:38 AM in response to Osolemio

Theoretically Gigabit Ethernet can transfer at 1 Gbit/s or roughly 125 MB/sec which is about the theoretical transfer rate for FW800. However, Ethernet is slower than FW800 because of the differences in the protocols involved, and in my limited experience I've found that Gigabit Ethernet's throughput rate is closer to that of a USB drive. A directly connected USB drive should average from 12-20 GB/hour depending upon the number and size of the files involved. FW400 hits around 30 GB/hour and FW800 around 40 GB/hour.

In your setup the limiting factor will be the transfer protocol since the RAIDs are capable of fully saturating the Ethernet bus. If one assumes that the Ethernet bus can achieve a throughput of 20 GB/hour on average then it would take roughly 57 hours to move 1.1.4 TBs. Now that's just an estimate. Obviously loads of small files can slow that down considerably to the 12 GB/hour rate (or possibly less) leading to an estimate of 96 hours, plus or minus.

Still that's a far cry from 240 hours, but then my estimates can't take into account what's being transferred nor other possible bottlenecks such as other uses of the Ethernet bus. After all you can't surf the web and transfer data at the same Gigabit rate - the bandwidth is being shared.

10 days to copy 1.14 TB of data between devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.