Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java issue with permissions repair

Hello.

I know of the list of issues that I can safely ignore when repairing permissions. However, recently I've had issues with Java on Safari and when I repair permissions, I get this:

Repairing permissions for “Chad's Drive”
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r".
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is 95.
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib".
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user is 95.
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.b undle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.b undle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar ", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar ".
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib", should be 95, user is 0.
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib".
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries", should be 95, user is 0.
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconf ig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writecon fig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

This is a tad bit more text than I am used to, and am wondering about the console.jar and "Virtual Machines" as I"ve not seen these before. Any ideas? Anything I should worry about?

Oh, Java test site says Java is working fine and is the most recent version.

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 12:18 PM

13 replies

Oct 25, 2010 4:50 AM in response to James Williams2

Everyone is getting those errors from the latest Java update (and one from the previous one.) They are not actually errors; it's just the Permissions database hasn't been updated for the OS yet. Maybe in 10.6.5. And you can disregard any that begin with l, as in *should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r--*

Generally, as long as you get the message "Permissions repair complete" you are fine.

See this also, but it hasn't been update to reflect these new "errors."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Nov 9, 2010 6:52 AM in response to James Williams2

i'm also getting these errors. good to know it's data base issues.

however, since my first encounter with these errors, i have had numerous other problems: font issues; default text seems to be a skinny helvetica, my color profiles are all screwed up; everything looks bad. doesn't matter what profile i use. some picture look fine while others look terrible. switch the color profile and the good picture looks bad and the bad good.

sheesh what a headache. any suggestions? i may start a thread on this.

cheers.

ps. css seems to be messed up in safari too.

Nov 15, 2010 8:08 AM in response to WZZZ

I try to run permissions, but it hangs on this Java 1.6 issue and never finishes. I have tried from Disk Utility and MainMenu with the same results. I am one of those having the iLife11/ iPhoto9 freeze ups and was wondering if this could be related. My iMac is a mess and has been for two weeks.

Nov 15, 2010 12:22 PM in response to Baba

I´m also for a week now with a big problem in Mail - hundreds of messages got blank and disappeared after "rebuild", now it won´t even synchronize. I put this in a thread in the Mail forum, but solutions only go as far as backups - which I don´t have. It started after installing the last Java patch and it still the same after updating to 10.6.5 and permission repair (which shows:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

to sum up: Sent mails are lost, received mails before certain dates (few days back in 1 account, years back in another and no trouble in the third one) won´t get downloaded again, even with new setup of the account - and all started after the java patch.

Help is very appreciated (maybe I can restore my sent mails from somewhere?!)

Dani.

Mar 1, 2011 1:44 AM in response to James Williams2

I get an identical dump from Disk Utility when attempting to repair. I recently did a host of updates, including (finally) updating to Snow Leopard, only because I wanted to load iLife 11. Computer now sometimes gets bogged down (lots of beachball). I dread doing a Time Machine rewind to back out of this mess, but I didn't have these issues a month ago.

Mar 1, 2011 1:52 AM in response to Andre Salters

Andre Salters wrote:
Hello,

After installing iLife11 this occurred on my MacBook.
Nothing is really repaired, as you can see when you repeat the repair right away.
Didn't install iLife11 on my MacPro, that is for the rest similar up to date.
The MacPro has nothing to repair.

Were system on MacBook and MacPro otherwise similar prior to iLife11 install?

Also, does anybody know...
Is there any way to back out of iLife11 and ditch this issue?
Are folks having same issue with new macs, or is this issue come with some update?

Mar 1, 2011 4:00 AM in response to Tobeerius

What is reported in Repair permissions has nothing to do with your computer problems.
Also, the fact that something is reported by Repair Permissions does not imply anything is wrong. It just notes that things differ. They differ because Apple hasn't updated the repair database to reflect the changes that occurred in the system by the updates.

As your problem doesn't have anything to do with permissions, please start a new topic describing what is happening and what you have done to try to fix it. That will get it the attention it needs.

Java issue with permissions repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.