Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"You've Got Four Cores" "But It's i3?!"

Hey All,

I recently got a 21" iMac refurb. It's an i3, with two cores. Or so I thought. Yeah, System Profiler says two, but everything else says four. MenuMeters shows four distinct cores with different numbers. Single-core Photoshop functions now use 25% or my CPU instead of 50% like with my Core 2 Duo MacBook, and things that let you do as many operations at once as you have cores now let me do four at once. Other apps say they are using four cores.
So, I'm not complaining; it's plenty fast. However, there are times when only one core can be used ( cough*CS5LensBlur*cough). 3.2/4=0.8; 2.4/2=1.2. So, these things take longer than they did with my old machine.
Is there any way to change the number of cores it thinks it has so that these things can use a full half the processor?
Also, who's right? Apple vs. everyone else.

Thanks!

plastic MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB; iMac 21 3.2GHz, 4GB, 5670 512MB, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Nano 3G + 5G, AEBS 2008, Logitech 5.1, LaCie 2Big + Rugged, CS4 DP, Ps CS5 ex

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 11:47 PM

both are probably right. it's probably an i3 with hyperthreading, which means 2 cores and 4 virtual cores.
2 replies

"You've Got Four Cores" "But It's i3?!"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.