Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring videos from iPod touch to computer

Okay, I'm new but I've been reading the forum questions and answers and don't see a clear answer to how to transfer video captured on iTouch 4 g. to my computer. I have tried to drag and drop but it won't work. Could I get someone to tell me what I need to do? Do I need some sort of software to do this? Thanks so much! 🙂

Dell Inspiron 570, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 6:26 PM

5 replies

Oct 24, 2010 8:53 PM in response to drumboi88

Was wondering if you could be a little more specific. Exactly where will the digital camera recognition show up on my PC? I've thoroughly looked in Windows Explorer for a new drive or camera recognition, Picasa, and Photoshop Elements 8. I've checked every possibility in all "Import" options as well. Is there something I have to set or check mark in either my iTouch itself, or iTunes, for this recognition to take place?

Nope. Once you connect the iPod to your computer,
it will be recognized as a Digital Camera.

Thanks for your help!

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA

Oct 24, 2010 11:22 PM in response to DanKap

Open "My Computer". It should show up as a drive. When you pull up "Computer", there are two options: Hard Disk Drives (like your main drive [C:], an external drive [E:] or you safety drive [D:]), and "Devices with Removable Storage" (like a flash drive, your CD drive, and memory cards). It should show up under "Devices with Removable Storage". If it does not, it means your computer did not install the drivers necessary for the iPod Touch to be read.

Sep 5, 2013 8:21 AM in response to meldeb3k

I'll solve my own (and others I'm sure) problem. The Appir iTouch iOS 6 .pdf manual was of no help as all it says is: "PC: Follow the instructions that came with your video application." No help there.

When you connect your iPod Touch 4th gen via USB, you should see it in the My Computer list of hard drives as a Digital Camera. You can open it up and see the camera files. Note: This in not the videoss as in the ones you put on your iPod via iTunes. Repeat: You cannot use iTunes to get the pictures & videos you take to your computer via iTunes. Strange.

Also see Apple tech note: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1500 This is how to disable the popup that happens to many when you connect your iPod and Windows whats to know what application to run.

For me, I could not delete the files nor could I Drag & Drop (Copy / Paste) all the files from the iPod to my PC. It would stop transferring data after about 750 files. So I had to find a solution. I searched for programs that supported WIA protocol, which is how files are transferred.

I tried all of the apps at http://www.flash-video-soft.com/ipod-to-computer/ and the only one that worked.

That was Cam2PC. One problem I encountered was that after transferring, it opened a Preview window. Unfortunately it doesn't do Quicktime, so when trying to display a thumbnail view of movies, it crashed. You can configure it not to open the preview window after transferring.

Transferring videos from iPod touch to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.