Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU usage over 100% in Activity Monitor [751.5%]

Hi all,

Could anyone explain me what does this percentage mean? I got 751.5% usage of CPU in Activity Monitor while using Handbrake-64b version. The mac was really hot and actually I run Activity Monitor to see what's going on cause I heard a fan being activated. I had never heard that one before.

Regards

Message was edited by: Adnub

iMac11,3

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 11:45 PM

it's actually a good thing. the iMac has 4 cores plus hyperthreading, which means the iMac has 8 virtual cores. every core is 100% CPU usage, so this means handbrake is really using the power of your imac and using every core the CPU has 🙂 this also means, you get about 8 times faster results than if handbrake wouldn't do that!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2010 11:45 PM in response to Adnub

it's actually a good thing. the iMac has 4 cores plus hyperthreading, which means the iMac has 8 virtual cores. every core is 100% CPU usage, so this means handbrake is really using the power of your imac and using every core the CPU has 🙂 this also means, you get about 8 times faster results than if handbrake wouldn't do that!

CPU usage over 100% in Activity Monitor [751.5%]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.