Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto crashes every time I try to process book

Hi everyone,

I understand that others have had the same issue and have had it resolved, through help from this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2623935&tstart=0

I tried this - and my book order is still crashing iphoto, and the order doesn't go through. It stays in the "assembly" process, then crashes without ever getting to the upload process.

I've deleted duplicate fonts (thanks to this forum!) and can see my book in safe mode. I tried ordering it there and that doesn't work either.

This is part of the crash report I get:
Process: iPhoto [498]
Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto
Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto
Version: 9.0 (9.0)
Build Info: iPhotoProject-4490000~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [312]

Date/Time: 2010-10-25 09:09:39.992 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 3883 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 8
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 2554 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 8
Anonymous UUID: 17A2F9E7-070F-4097-82B7-E77F8B5BD04D

Exception Type: EXC BADACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN PROTECTIONFAILURE at 0x0000000000000010
Crashed Thread: 37

Any help or advice would be so appreciated.

imac, 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 6:17 AM

10 replies

Oct 30, 2010 11:16 AM in response to rlholohan

Hi everyone - just following up on this as I haven't been able to fix yet... I've tried everything that has been posted in other forums and nothing has worked. Every time I try to buy the book, it crashes at page 37. I even duplicated the book and deleted page 36 and 37, and it still won't assemble or print to a pdf. Any help or advice would be fantastic...!

Dec 7, 2010 6:20 AM in response to rlholohan

Hi,
I had the same problem with a repeated crash on page 17 of a 78 page book.

I tried fix 1 and fix 2 recommended by Old Toad,checked and removed duplicate fonts, delete preferences, uninstalled & reinstalled iPhoto and then wiped my MacBook and did a clean install of Snow Leopard. I even bought more RAM as my MacBook was struggling with 2Gb and using the hard drive as virtual memory. Still the same problem with the crash on the same page.

After a bit of trial and error I found that the crash was related to a photo that I was using on a double page spread (it seems the page count includes the cover as page 1 when assembling). The photo I was using was either being zoomed too far or the zoom was extending beyond the page bounds of the book. I edited the photo, changed the resolution and cropped to the approximate proprtions. I then reimported the photo, did a bit of fine tuning and it worked fine.

I'm not sure this will work for others but it may be that zooming beyond a certain point that the effective resolution of the image is too low, or zooming in so that the exent of the photo goes beyond the page edge might cause a problem. I'd be keen to hear if this works or solves others issues.

Dec 23, 2010 6:07 AM in response to rlholohan

I had the same problem: iPhoto/iLife 11 crashed every time after the assembling process by ordering the book. And iPhoto crashed ad the end of the process by building a PDF. Now I found the solving of my problem: I am not allowed using more then 2 different fonts in one book. When I have more then 2 different fonts in my book - crash. And when I do not use the fixed font size (12, 14, 18, 24 etc.) and use a own font size (19, 20, 22 etc.) - crash. I don't know why, but it happens this way.
I informed Apple about this because I had a support number for my problem. So I hope Apple will fix this in the next version.
Friedrich Guenter

Jan 10, 2011 5:48 AM in response to turner1948

Tanks to turner 1948!
I had the very same problem: iphoto crashed anytime I tried to order my photobook or export it as .pdf! When I reduced the number of used fonts to 2 and avoided odd numbers, like a miracle the order was succesful.

I hope Apple will solve this problem soon, until then try this trick!
Michael Born

Message was edited by: M.Born

Mar 23, 2013 10:26 AM in response to rlholohan

Hi,

I'm using iphoto 09 v 8.1.2 on OS X 10.6.8 and it always crashes when assembling my photobook, tropical theme with maps on page 27/82.

I tried:

remove com.apple.iphoto.plist but I can't find it Ionly find com.apple.ilife09.plist

remove page 27

diable option for texture and shadow (maps)

safe mode

repair the library starting the app with cmd etc

update with iphoto 11 but cannot because of my OS

There's no map on page 27, no indication about corrupted picture.

Any idea? Thanks for your hepl, I'm disappointed...

iphoto crashes every time I try to process book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.