Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JungleDisk Backup of upgrade iPhoto library = Most of it changed!

One thing to watch out for with the new iPhoto '11 is that the library structure has been changed significantly. I just ran a backup preview in JungleDisk and it reported that of my 58G library, 46.5G of it is changed and needs to be backed up. Ack! I am going through now and removing everything that is not essential leaving, mainly, just the originals, the modifieds ("Previews" in the parlance) and the information I need (metadata, etc.) and ignoring all thumbnails, faces.db, and iPod cache (things I should have not been backing up anyway!)

I am looking to see if there is a way to hack my JungleDisk folder structure to match the new one so I am not uploading the same things all over again...

MacBook (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 3GS/iOS 4

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 6:21 AM

9 replies

Oct 25, 2010 9:18 AM in response to aaffleck

Ack! I am going through now and removing everything that is not essential leaving, mainly, just the originals, the modifieds ("Previews" in the parlance) and the information I need (metadata, etc.) and ignoring all thumbnails, faces.db, and iPod cache (things I should have not been backing up anyway!)

With the singular exception of the iPod cache you should be backing all those other elements. They are all essential parts of the Library.

Regards

TD

Oct 25, 2010 9:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

The thumb databases and thumbnails directories are all generated by the app and, if lost, will be recreated (albeit slowly). The iPod cache, also, is regenerated when I select what to move to our iPhones. Aside from the original pictures, the modified pictures, and the databases of metadata, what else is essential? I am keeping all of the many random files at the top level of the iPhoto package as they are clearly important. I'm just not including thumbs, caches, and the like.

Also, I was able to rename directories in my JungleDisk backup and the result is that a new backup is only about 1.25G now.

-A

Oct 25, 2010 9:29 AM in response to aaffleck

Yes the library structure is pretty much totally changed and your backup will have to be totally redone

BUT

Note - it is critical that you NEVER delete any items from the iPhoto library using the finder without specific instructions (the iphoto cache can be safely deleted but will be regenerated with future syncs) - iPhoto is a SQL database and all of the database elements are a single unit and all are critical to successful operation of iPhoto - if you delete any of these elements (like previews for example) you will corrupt your library and either have to load a backup from before you can use iPhoto or you will have to start over losing all edits, metadata and other data

There are *NO USER SERVICEABLE PART*S within the iPhoto Library and you must NEVER make any changes to the content or structure of it.

LN

Oct 25, 2010 9:53 AM in response to LarryHN

Right. I agree. Like I said, I am only removing *from the backup* the thumbs and caches. Not any of the databases, not previews, not masters. Just the stuff that iPhoto generates for itself. And I am only removing those from the backup. I am not touching the actual iPhoto package, never would. I am just choosing to only back up those parts of my iPhoto life that are crucial and are the minimum necessary to do a proper restore and have iPhoto regen the rest itself. If I find out that iPod Photo Cache or any of the Thumbnails databases will break iPhoto by deleting, then I will put them back on the backup list.

Nov 21, 2010 4:05 PM in response to aaffleck

I back up my library with an rsync to iDisk - similar to JungleDisk in that its "in the cloud", is slow to back up and is limited in space, so I also would like to limit the backup to "absolute essentials". I've already excluded cache, and *Backup, and *.bak. I see there is now a Database/Versions sub-folder, which looks something like a TimeMachine view.

Do I need all of these or will iPhoto recreate them? What else can be safely excluded from the backup because iPhoto will recreate it?

I gotta think it will recreate them, because it certainly created them all by itself when I upgraded!

BTW, the DB files are technically "SQLite 3.x database"s

JungleDisk Backup of upgrade iPhoto library = Most of it changed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.