Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email photos from iPhoto via Outlook 2011 rather then mail?

Is it possible for iPhoto to automatically open and insert photos using Outlook rather then mail?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 27" i7 Quad Core. 8gb Ram. 1TB storage

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 1:40 PM

24 replies

Oct 25, 2010 3:50 PM in response to depecher

With Office 11 for the Mac available as of Tuesday October 26, 2010, this may be possible using the Mac’s new version of Outlook. From what I read I believe the new Outlook will include Media Browser access to the iPhoto Library (can’t verify yet that it accesses the new iPhoto’11 library since the structure has changed from iPhoto’09. Within iPhoto’11, you could assign Outlook’11 as your e-mail service.

Oct 27, 2010 10:29 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry, my Office for Mac 2011 is on the truck for delivery today (fast delivery), but I am also awaiting the iLile’11 delivery ordered earlier but arriving perhaps next week (slow delivery). I will not be able to verify Outlook’11 as a mail client for iPhoto’11 since I didn’t order the business version after all. But I’ll report back where this is supported in iPhoto’11 unless some other poster answers your post first and completely re Outlook.

Oct 27, 2010 10:54 AM in response to Rick Lang

iPhoto 11 no longer uses an application for sending emails. It creates the emails and sends them itself when you supply your account details.

So, no, you can't set Outlook (or anything else) as a default Email client in 11.

FYI: iPhoto 11 works with email in a new way. Rather than using an Application to send the email as before, what they have done is handle the email within iPhoto. So, you input your Email Account details - the name of your service, the account name, password, etc, and iPhoto uses that information to send the email via your account.

There's an element of swings and roundabouts in this.

Users of Apps like Thunderbird or Postbox could not email from within iPhoto in the past as those apps are not scriptable. Neither could it be used by people who use Web Mail and access their mail via a web browser. By going this way these people users have the same service as Mail/Entourage/Eudora users have.

So much for the swings: on the roundabouts, however, users of Mail (and I suspect Entourage and Eudora) have a change. Share -> Email does not work as before and you can no longer select pics within iPhoto, resize them and pass them over to their preferred application. Neither can you send photos without a Template.

However, by creating a Service sing Automator, it's perfectly possible to recreate the previous usage, though accessed a little differently. Here's one way:

1. Launch Automator

2. From the Dropdown sheet select to make a Service

3. On the Right hand side, over the large pane (under the record button) select 'Service Receives +no input+'

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

3. From the Library Column (extreme left) click on Photos.

4. From the Middle Column drag 'Get Selected iPhoto Items to the large pane.

5. In the drop down on 'Get Selected Photo Items, select 'Photos'

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

6. Back to the Library column, extreme left and this time click on Mail

7. Drag 'New Mail Message' to the right hand pane, under the existing 'Get iPhoto Items'

8. Drag 'Add Attachments to Front Message' under that.

9. Save it, Name it.

Now, in iPhoto select the photos you want to email

then

iPhoto Menu -> Services -> And select the Service you created.

The Mail app comes forward with your Message, with files attached.

You can resize the Photos using the option at lower right of the Mail window:

User uploaded file
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

Using the Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences you can choose a key command to do the whole thing from the keyboard.

I have looked at the Automator commands provided for Outlook and it seems like you could do a similar job for it - though I don't know if it will have the ability to resize the images.

Regards

TD

Oct 31, 2010 8:06 PM in response to LarryHN

Outlook is NOW a Mac product with Office 2011.

The problem is that iPhoto '11 changed the way it "sends" photos when you select email from "Share". In iPhoto '09 and previous versions, when you select "email", it automatically went to your default email client (Mail or Entourage, etc) and created a new outgoing email. With iPhoto '11 when you select "Share" and choose "email" it opens an internal email app with iPhoto. You can set up your email account in iPhoto '11 preferences. I find this pretty neat but I didn't see anything in the set up instructions (perhaps I just missed it). In my test the photo email went out but I can find no "sent" file in my email client. When checked the emails that I received, they had a ZIP file containing the two photo I had selected to email.

I much prefer the old method but I assume that this makes it easier for Apple because iPhoto doesn't have to deal with having to interface with multiple email clients - it just uses it's own internal emailing app.

email photos from iPhoto via Outlook 2011 rather then mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.