Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grouping TV Shows - ie TV Show Name > Seasons > Episodes

I am seeing in Apple TV under TV Shows:-

Stargate SG-1 - Season 1
Stargate SG-1 - Season 2
etc
The West Wing - Season 1
The West Wing - Season 2
etc

Is there anyway to get the TV Show to pull all the Seasons together and just show the TV Show, then the Seasons, then the episodes?

The way I am seeing it now with several TBs of TV shows this is going to be a very long scrolling list.

Any ideas? Can I group them somehow by changing an attribute in the meta data?

Thanks

Background just in case relevant

Just got a new Apple TV 2 - it connecting nicely to all the Macs in the house.

I am converting all my video and putting it into iTunes (10.0.1) using iFlicks (a tad flakey) and Elgato Turbo HD H.264 usb co-processor.

All going well, quicker if iFlicks were more stable and stop stalling without any indication it had done so.

iMac 2 & 2.66GHz * 2 x MBP * 2 x iPhone 4 * TC 1TB * iPad *, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Thecus NASLite * Win7

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 9:39 AM

12 replies

Oct 27, 2010 2:22 PM in response to Busta999

Yes, it would be nice if Apple would return to the original filing system! Do they ever chime in here and confirm if something like this is intentional or a bug they intend to address?

I expect better communications from Apple. Of late they are acting like other "average" companies by hiding their mistakes and not communicating.

I called them yesterday with a known issue and the response? "Mine works fine" and "the database doesn't show anyone else is having this issue."

Wow. I long for the old Apple that "manned up" and let you know where you stood!

Jan 6, 2011 11:15 AM in response to Busta999

Is there anyway to get the TV Show to pull all the Seasons together and just show the TV Show, then the Seasons, then the episodes?

If by this you mean three separate lists (i.e., "TV Show Names" from which you can select a show which then presents a list of seasons from which you can select just one of the seasons to present a list of episodes, then the answer is no.

On the other hand, if you merely want a list of shows from which you can select a continuous list of episodes but without the "season" divider line as used for the TV1 interface, then the answer is yes. Simply select all of your episodes for a particular TV show and remove the season designation. If your episodes are properly numbered, then will be lumped together and remain in their proper playing order.

User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon, I didn't see your post but found a way to get the TV Shows grouped into 2 levels like you speak of (I did not follow yours very well, did you mean just leave the "Season" text field blank on the video tab?)

If you select all the shows in a season and use command + i to open a multiple item dialog you can name the Show and Season. Then in Apple TV if you view by "Show" it will have the show name with an arrow (indicating there are items in this folder) and you can select it. Now I just did a quick test with 4 episodes of a season and it worked. I do believe there is probably no way to get 3 levels at this time so maybe the name of your show could be "Show Name -1" or "Show Name - Season 1" and this way you could make separate folders for each season and then scroll thru episodes. Like I said I haven't played with it much yet to see how I can format everything but this was a start.

here is the info I found where this guy was wanting to group his movies...
http://www.macworld.com/article/137856/2009/01/appletvfolders.html

Jan 6, 2011 12:04 PM in response to fitzintx

Just realized my mistake above (didn't know if I could edit that msg or not), you don't have to name your TV Show with season in it. For my test I had "Friends" and when I did the multiple item dialog and put a "1" in the season field it displays the season on the first level. So when I view by shows it has "Friends" with Season 1 in smaller font underneath. I just saw that and wanted to add it to my post

Jan 6, 2011 2:07 PM in response to fitzintx

For my test I had "Friends" and when I did the multiple item dialog and put a "1" in the season field it displays the season on the first level. So when I view by shows it has "Friends" with Season 1 in smaller font underneath. I just saw that and wanted to add it to my post

This is the way most people view their TV shows list. However, the original poster asked how to merge the various seasons for a single show together under a single TV show name--just the opposite of what you are doing (i.e., dividing the show by season). In my explanation, you select all episodes in all seasons for a single TV show, open the multi-file Info window and remove all of the season numbers in a single action. Thereafter, all episodes for that TV Show will then display under a single TV show name and, if the episode #s are correct, will be listed in their episode by season order but not place a "header" between seasons as is done on the TV1 menu when season IDs are included.

For me, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other. For instance, the original Doctor Who TV series has 26 seasons which would make 26 Doctor Who TV show entries in the TV show list making it easier to access individual episodes for each season. On the other hand, grouping all 26 seasons under a single TV show name makes it easier to select an individual TV show but makes it more difficult to access a single episode in the "season by episode" list which now contains over 500 individual episodes. Thus, each user must decide for himself/herself which work flow is more suited to their individual needs. My only reason for posting was to point out that both options are available for TV show lists and answers the OP's question.

User uploaded file

Apr 18, 2014 4:00 PM in response to Busta999

APPLE!!!!! HURRY UP and fix this problem please!!!

I ditched using DLNA in favour of the apple ecosystem to pretty things up and make it easier for the kids to find their tv shows and movies. Combined with iVL (AMAZING piece of metadata/file conversion software), apple tv does everything brilliantly, except this one flaw...

The fact that itunes displays tv shows properly and apple tv doesn't is absolutely ********, and is very unlike apple who normally design consistantly and create everything in the way that most makes sense.

I'm guessing there will be no more updates for ATV3 and all the work is being put in for the next generation. Lets hope they have sorted out this simple problem for then.

Grouping TV Shows - ie TV Show Name > Seasons > Episodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.