Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows on a MacBook Pro with broken CD/DVD drive

After a nasty harddrive issue that left me OS-less, I now want to re-install Windows on my MacBook Pro. However, my CD drive has given up on me since I last installed Windows, and now, my MacBook Pro simply cannot read CDs and DVDs.

This is not a problem as far as re-installing Snow Leopard on my OS X partition is concerned, since I can just make an image copy of the installation DVD on a hard drive, or install it via another computer and target disk mode.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do something similar with Windows, to somehow install it without having to use a physical disc?

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 12:44 AM

Have you tried one of those CD/DVD DRIVE cleaners? One of those disks that you put in the drive and it cleans the dust and what not off of the laser. I haven't had to use one in years but it did save me a couple of times when I thought it was dieing.

It depends on if BootCamp sees a "Target Disk Mode" drive as an internal drive or external.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3165

I would imagine it's what BootCamp can see or not, as BootCamp is the one that tells Window what it can or can't do. I don't think BootCamp looks at the Firewire/USB bus, just the internal SATA bus, hence no external installs?

Have you looked at an external CD/DVD drive? That may work? They have come down in price but the price difference between the external CD/DVD drive and replacing the internal one isn't that far off. No sense lugging that external drive around when traveling.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2010 12:44 AM in response to Ayjona

Have you tried one of those CD/DVD DRIVE cleaners? One of those disks that you put in the drive and it cleans the dust and what not off of the laser. I haven't had to use one in years but it did save me a couple of times when I thought it was dieing.

It depends on if BootCamp sees a "Target Disk Mode" drive as an internal drive or external.

I would imagine it's what BootCamp can see or not, as BootCamp is the one that tells Window what it can or can't do. I don't think BootCamp looks at the Firewire/USB bus, just the internal SATA bus, hence no external installs?

Have you looked at an external CD/DVD drive? That may work? They have come down in price but the price difference between the external CD/DVD drive and replacing the internal one isn't that far off. No sense lugging that external drive around when traveling.

Oct 27, 2010 8:06 AM in response to Sam_P

Jaygyver wrote:

Unfortunately, my CD/DVD drive has been broken for many years, and resists all attempts at cleaning. I was one of the unlucky few who received a first-gen (yep, my beloved MBP really is that old 😉 ) MacBook Pro with an already faulty drive, but thanks to complicated circumstances, I never turned it in for a replacement during the two year warranty window.

I think yer right regarding Boot Camp. Perhaps an external CD/DVD drive is the way to go. I would only use it for installing Windows, which is why I've hesitated before. My clouded mind (as in, bent on putting everything in the cloud and forgetting that physical media ever existed) has strict principles against using CDs and DVDs 😉

The second part of my hesitation is this: will my MacBook Pro be able to boot from a Windows installer DVD on an external drive? They reason I ask is that I've noticed before that during a Windows installation, my external keyboard (nor any other USB connections) is not recognized. Some kind of driver conflict/lack of drivers.

Sam_P wrote:
Yes there is:
http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

Ah, yes, that's it! After reading your suggestion, I looked around, and found a few guides to installing Windows 7 from a flash drive. I wonder if this will work on my MBP, what with EFI having opinions on what can be booted from...

Oct 27, 2010 6:05 PM in response to Ayjona

I'm by no means an expert, I just come to the forums when I have a problem, which isn't that often, I seem to get caught up into other problems.
I'm one of those people that goes online for one reason and end up hours later wondering what I was looking for in the first place.:)

I understand on the not getting things done..... Been there done that....

You want old?, I just retired my "Upgraded" Sawtooth (X-mas '99) when I bought the MP last month......

Just from reading some of the problems with Boot Camp issues, It comes down to what BOOT CAMP can see and not what Windows can see. It seems like Boot Camp tells Windows what it can and can't do to be compatible with the Mac OS.

Installing Windows on a MacBook Pro with broken CD/DVD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.