Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP for windows 7 x64?

Can you buy AFP for windows 7? I'm getting to the point of hating SMB since it doesn't work for a mix platform environment too well or at least it doesn't want to play well with Mac. After almost 2 years and Leopard to SNL I'm still having to use Go/Connect to Server to work with my Apple systems. It will not show the windows systems within the Finder/Network (using Airport Extreme Base Station, too. TIme to give up or give a stab of getting AFP for windows. Can I buy AFP?

Macbook Pro (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 4GB Core2Duo 2.4 /w SSD

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 11:16 AM

15 replies

Jan 21, 2011 1:33 PM in response to Tobin Anthony

Wrong, completely wrong. ExtremeZ IP is for connecting Macs to Windows systems, yes, but it installs on the Windows machine. The system requirements:

File & Print Server:
Windows Server Platforms: 2008 (inc. R2), 2003 (inc. R2), Windows Storage Server, Windows Powered NAS *
Windows Professional Platforms: Windows 7, Vista, XP Pro, XP Embedded *
Minimum processor - Pentium 3; Minimum RAM - 512 MB
Switched TCP/IP based network provides best performance - 100BaseT or 1000BaseT
ExtremeZ-IP volumes must be on NTFS formatted drives

Whoever you spoke to either doesn't deserve to be working for that company or you two badly miscommunicated.

Jan 21, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Tobin Anthony

We all seem to be miscommunicating, and I think it stems from a lack of clarity on what the OP really wants to do. If s/he wants to be able to connect to Windows systems from a Mac via AFP, then Extreme-Z is one answer, and that product installs on Windows systems and allows Macs to connect via AFP rather than SMB.

If the OP is asking to be able to connect from Windows systems to a Mac via AFP, then you are correct, ExtremeZ is not the solution. There is a workaround posted here:

http://www.androsasoft.net/forum/index.php?topic=79.0

that purports to enable this, but I have no experience with it.

Regards.

Jan 19, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Tobin Anthony

"I asked the tech support guy if ExtremeZ IP will let me Windows users connect to my OS X server via AFP. He said no, that the software is designed to allow Mac clients connect to Windows servers. I don't know what I could have said that was unclear."

you got it all wrong.. you wont find any client apps for windows that connect to mac servers via AFP because AFP is APPLE FILING PROTOCOL.. the whole point of using AFP is support for the complexities of apple file systems, resource forks, data forks etc

you really have no need for any client programs, you need to just enable SMB on your OSX based server, besides AFP is being dropped by apple because it is a relic of the old powerpc/classic mac os(7/8/9) days of computing. use windows built in file sharing.

your question leads me to believe you are uneducated on the topics you are discussing.. and its common internet courtesy to create your own thread if you have a question to ask, specific to your own situation, not hijack the OP's original post.

Jan 19, 2015 7:44 PM in response to chrisnova777

chrisnova777 wrote:

"I asked the tech support guy if ExtremeZ IP will let me Windows users connect to my OS X server via AFP. He said no, that the software is designed to allow Mac clients connect to Windows servers. I don't know what I could have said that was unclear."

you got it all wrong.. you wont find any client apps for windows that connect to mac servers via AFP because AFP is APPLE FILING PROTOCOL.. the whole point of using AFP is support for the complexities of apple file systems, resource forks, data forks etc

you really have no need for any client programs, you need to just enable SMB on your OSX based server, besides AFP is being dropped by apple because it is a relic of the old powerpc/classic mac os(7/8/9) days of computing. use windows built in file sharing.

your question leads me to believe you are uneducated on the topics you are discussing.. and its common internet courtesy to create your own thread if you have a question to ask, specific to your own situation, not hijack the OP's original post.

Why are you resurrecting a discussion that's been dead for 4 years? What's the point? I'm sure the OP has moved on by now.

AFP for windows 7 x64?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.