Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime for computer audio quality

Loaded Facetime on my wife's computer and my computer. We are both connected to the net via ethernet. Both computers updated to most recent version of Snow Leopard. I like the program. Video quality is OK, but sound quality is not good. My wife can hear me fine, but every other word she says is either garbled or even worse, the audio completely cuts out. The problem doesn't seem to be hardware specific since our conversations on Skype work fine. Anybody experience anything similar?

iMac, Macbook Pro, iPod mini, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 2:28 PM

11 replies

Oct 26, 2010 4:44 PM in response to scn

Having the same exact problem, only with me on an iPhone 4 and using FaceTime with a Mac. It actually worked perfectly for about 20 minutes, and then just as you described - video was fine on both ends, audio could be heard on the Mac, but only garbled/mute on the iPhone. Every minute or two it would come in again clearly for a few seconds and then cut out again. I've used FaceTime before, as well as skype on this Mac unit, so I don't think it is a hardware issue

Nov 14, 2010 2:07 PM in response to Paco

Actually, I've found that audio quality is quite excellent, with extremely low latency compared to other VOIP offerings. I don't know what technology Apple is using, but the latency on FT is rather low: about 200-300ms (vs 3,000ms typical for Skype).

Of course, I should say I have a fast cable connection (20 Mbps) with low measured latency (60 ms), and the video/audio load of a FT represents no real burden (about 120 kbps). Obviously, your results will vary, depending on the upload/download speeds of the wi-fi systems at both ends of the call.

It's a good idea to verify the connection speed when using wi-fi: there's a number of free bandwidth testers available on iTunes app store that are worth running before attempting to place a call, as the quality of the connection is directly tied to voice/video quality.

Facetime for computer audio quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.