11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 7:11 PM by Meg St._Clair
scn Level 1 (10 points)
Loaded Facetime on my wife's computer and my computer. We are both connected to the net via ethernet. Both computers updated to most recent version of Snow Leopard. I like the program. Video quality is OK, but sound quality is not good. My wife can hear me fine, but every other word she says is either garbled or even worse, the audio completely cuts out. The problem doesn't seem to be hardware specific since our conversations on Skype work fine. Anybody experience anything similar?

iMac, Macbook Pro, iPod mini, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 (123,405 points)
    I haven't yet, but FaceTime for the Mac is a BETA.
  • scn Level 1 (10 points)
    I know it's beta. Just curious if this is a bug other's have noticed or something with our hardware.
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 (123,405 points)
    Copied from your previous post.

*The problem doesn't seem to be hardware specific since our conversations on Skype work fine.*

You've answered your question. If this were hardware related, the same would happen with Skype and iChat, and your wife can hear you fine. It is a BETA.
  • scn Level 1 (10 points)
    Thanks again. Like I said I know it is beta. And I am still curious if any others have experienced the same thing.
  • JPL20 Level 1 (0 points)
    Having the same exact problem, only with me on an iPhone 4 and using FaceTime with a Mac. It actually worked perfectly for about 20 minutes, and then just as you described - video was fine on both ends, audio could be heard on the Mac, but only garbled/mute on the iPhone. Every minute or two it would come in again clearly for a few seconds and then cut out again. I've used FaceTime before, as well as skype on this Mac unit, so I don't think it is a hardware issue
  • Paco Level 4 (1,365 points)
    I also experienced that same thing, I could hear and see the iPhone user clearly but they could see me but not hear me. We have had no trouble using Skype. Must be a beta glitch.
  • Feefer Level 1 (15 points)
    Actually, I've found that audio quality is quite excellent, with extremely low latency compared to other VOIP offerings. I don't know what technology Apple is using, but the latency on FT is rather low: about 200-300ms (vs 3,000ms typical for Skype).

Of course, I should say I have a fast cable connection (20 Mbps) with low measured latency (60 ms), and the video/audio load of a FT represents no real burden (about 120 kbps). Obviously, your results will vary, depending on the upload/download speeds of the wi-fi systems at both ends of the call.

It's a good idea to verify the connection speed when using wi-fi: there's a number of free bandwidth testers available on iTunes app store that are worth running before attempting to place a call, as the quality of the connection is directly tied to voice/video quality.
  • Marlene from Fort McMurray Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem when using Face Time.  Does anyone know of a solution?

• SABOND21 Level 1 (15 points)

The same issue, Skype is Ok, but FaceTime audio - bad, as it seems problem is in FaceTime... Apple should fix it

• cozman1217 Level 1 (0 points)

When I'm using facetime on my mac book pro I can hear the person I'm talking to just fine but the other person cannot hear anything that I'm saying.  Any possibilities of what the problem could be?

• Meg St._Clair Level 9 (50,862 points)

You'll probably get more responses if you post this in the MacPro forums rather than in the iPhone forum.

Best of luck.