Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two iPhone sharing apps stopped working

My wife and I both have iphones. Needless to say we dont want to buy the same app twice to use on our phones. Before she recently upgraded to the iPhone 4, we had no problems loading apps bought on my account on to her phone. Now it just doesn't work. Anyone else notice the same thing or have a workaround?

Self-Built, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 6:46 PM

14 replies

Oct 27, 2010 5:30 AM in response to dcompiled

I have a similar problem. My old iphone 1 was stolen; I'd like to put the apps from that onto a new iphone 4. I'm managing this new phone with another computer, and have a new appleid. But, I'd hoped I could install the old apps on the old computer onto it. However it does not seem to work. I had trouble changing account on the iphones (to the old appleid and back again to the new one) before and I'd like to avoid it if there is another way to do this.
I read that you can only manage the iphone from one computer. Might this be the problem? (But if your computer dies or is replaced, there must be a way to change computers.) I thought you could install the purchased material onto 5 devices, so I did not think this is the issue.
But since you are having a similar issue with intalling the apps onto 2 devices, maybe that is no longer allowed?

Oct 27, 2010 2:36 PM in response to modular747

So I copied the apps to my wife's computer. They appear in iTunes. I logged into my iTunes store account on both her computer and the iPhone. I chose some apps to sync by checking the boxes in the sync pages under iTunes. When I sync, the buttons just uncheck themselves after each sync operation. I even tried buying a new app from her phone while logged into my iTunes store account, it asked me to verify my credit card details which I did. Then it attempted to download and took me to the springboard where it showed "waiting..." with an empty progress bar for about a minute upon which I gave up. Changed itunes accounts on the phone and purchased the same app with her iTunes user account. As far as I know, we are able to load media and apps from up to 5 authorized computers. My wife's computer is one of my authorized computers and it has no problems playing or syncing the music I have bought from iTunes.

Oct 27, 2010 5:42 PM in response to dcompiled

Still unclear if you and your wife have different iTunes accounts. You can't have apps/media purchased from more than one account on the same phone.

You can have the same account on 5 different computers, but can sync an iPhone with only one at a time. Unless all computers have identical apps/media itunes libraries, what's on your phone gets replaced with what's in the computer's library you're syncing with.

Message was edited by: modular747

Oct 28, 2010 4:53 AM in response to modular747

I have the same problem.

My new iPhone4 was delivered yesterday, I noticed after syncing for the first time that none of my previous Apps had copied over to the iPhone4.

Again previously my partner and I had had no issues 'sharing' Apps between our iPhones. We both use the same iTunes id and it was the same one I used to activate my new phone. I just can't pick up my Apps on the new phone.

Any ideas??

Nov 10, 2010 9:10 AM in response to modular747

Yes we have different iTunes accounts. Again to be completely clear, music that is bought on my iTunes account can be played on her computer as well as synced to her iPhone 4 because her computer is authorized. Therefore it is false to claim that each phone is limited to media from a single iTunes account. It is only apps that will not sync.

Furthermore my apps are also synced to my brothers iPhone 3GS so I know this has been possible with the iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. My brother has his own itunes account to be totally clear. I'm curious if this behavior is an intentional feature cripple or just a glitch with the synchronization software. I will do additional research to see if this behavior is iPhone 4 specific or related to newer iTunes versions.

Message was edited by: dcompiled

Nov 10, 2010 12:09 PM in response to dcompiled

dcompiled wrote:
Yes we have different iTunes accounts. Again to be completely clear, music that is bought on my iTunes account can be played on her computer as well as synced to her iPhone 4 because her computer is authorized. Therefore it is false to claim that each phone is limited to media from a single iTunes account. It is only apps that will not sync.

What i actually said is that you can't have iTunes media from 2 different accounts on a single phone *_at the same time_*. You can sync any phone to any iTunes account and the music and apps purchased in that account will replace whatever is on the phone.
Furthermore my apps are also synced to my brothers iPhone 3GS so I know this has been possible with the iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Yes, but they replace his apps from his account. Again it is not possible, without hacking/jailbreaking the phone, to sync apps purchased from different iTunes accounts on the same phone at the same time.
I will do additional research to see if this behavior is iPhone 4 specific or related to newer iTunes versions.

This behavior is as designed by Apple, and is the same for all iPhone models, iOS and iTunes versions. Any i Phones that can have apps and media from more than one iTunes account at the same time had to have "unauthorized modifications" and can't be discussed in this forum.

Message was edited by: modular747

Nov 10, 2010 12:32 PM in response to modular747

What i actually said is that you can't have iTunes media from 2 different accounts on a single phone at the same time.

Well, that statement is absolutely not true. Fact is you can share iTunes content from different accounts on different devices. I do this all the time with my wife. Perfectly legal & permitted under the EUSLA.

Nov 10, 2010 1:09 PM in response to modular747

Here's what you have to do to share content(only permitted by the EUSLA among family members, in the same household, up to 5). iTunes has home sharing built in, you can do it that way, or:

Let's say I want to share apps with my wife, she has her own computer & iTunes account:

1. Disable auto sync when an ipod/iphone is connected in her iTunes on her computer.
2. Sign her out of her account, sign in using my account details.
3. Connect MY phone...you do not want to sync, obviously.
4. Store>Authorize this Computer(you only have to do this once).
5. File>Transfer Purchases(all purchased content on my phone will be transferred to her library).
6. Eject my phone.
7. Sign out of iTunes & sign her back in.
8. Connect her phone & select what content you want to sync to her phone.

All app updates have to be done using my account, sign her out, I sign in, update the apps in question, sign out, sign her back in.

Been doing this for years this way, although home sharing makes it easier.

Nov 10, 2010 1:19 PM in response to wjosten

Yes, this works - that's what I meant by adding your content to her library.

However, that's not what the OP is talking about. He claims (or seems to be) that he used to be able to simply sync apps and media from his wife's account, adding to his account's media/apps already on the phone but can no longer do so. He wasn't referring to the transferring of purchases from the phone to his relative's iTunes accounts, and then syncing the combined libraries (yes, a lot easier with home sharing).

Nov 10, 2010 4:09 PM in response to modular747

I intend to test wjosten's method but things used to be less complicated. There's a folder itunes creates called "Mobile Applications". In the past I could copy the .ipa files from this folder to a USB stick and copy them into any other iTunes library I liked. The only requirement to get these apps to sync was that the computer was authorized to access media with the original purchasers iTunes account. I also would sign out and sign in with the purchasers iTunes account on both the computer and the device. This specific behavior no longer works since my wife replaced her iPhone 3G with the iPhone 4.

Nov 10, 2010 4:38 PM in response to dcompiled

I upgraded my wife from a 3G to a 4 on release day.
I have a 3GS.

We shared dozens of apps between the 3G and 3GS using independant accounts. They were shared using the oldschool copy method and the new, easier shared library method.

After upgrading her to the 4 everything still continues to work just like it did before. i.e. requiring the credentials of both accounts in order to update apps.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think I've yet shared over a new app in the purely 3GS to 4 scenario. Maybe that's a clue...

Two iPhone sharing apps stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.