Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This purchase woould exceed the maximum gift certificate purchase amount

I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this message. This morning, I tried to buy an iTunes gift certificate so I could e-mail it to a friend as a gift. I got the message stating that I have exceeded the maximum gift certificate purchase amount for this account. It seems iTunes has a limit on the total purchase amount you can buy in a 30 day period. I asked them what was the reasoning behind this limit and the person wasn't sure - he thought it was to prevent someone hacking into your account and running up a huge bill by purchasing a lot of gift certificates. If a person did hack into your account, would iTunes just process the gift certificates and charge it to the credit card that's associated with the account?

G5iMac/MacBookPro/Intel/iBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Nano, 16/80 gig video; whole bunch of externals

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 10:08 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2010 2:58 PM in response to Sunny's mommy

I too have had this same problem but I have not been able to find anyone to give me an answer that makes sense. The only thing I can figure out is that you are allowed to purchase one gift certificate per month no matter what denomination it is for. I cannot believe that someone decided to allow customers to only purchase one gift certificate per month. It used to be a limit of $100 per certificate but now it is only a high of $50 and if you purchase that one you cannot buy another one for someone else or for yourself if you chose to. Really not taking care of the consumer.

Dec 10, 2010 3:40 PM in response to Sunny's mommy

Sunny's mommy wrote:
If a person did hack into your account, would iTunes just process the gift certificates and charge it to the credit card that's associated with the account?

Yes, that is exactly what happens. iTunes has no way of knowing it is not the legitimate account holder, would issue the certificates as requested, and charge the credit card that is on file.

Purchase of large quantities of gift certificates at once is considered a possible indicator of fraud. That is why they try to detect and prevent it. However, this may leave some last-minute Christmas shoppers in the lurch!

If you do get hacked, immediately remove your CC details from iTunes, change your password, and report the fraudulent charges to your credit card company. Normally consumers are not on the hook for fraudulent use of their card, although resolution can take a while.

Dec 18, 2010 2:55 PM in response to ed2345

I think that one alternative if iTunes should suspect that there's fraud going on, is to contact the person whose name is on the account and ask if he or she is truly ordering that many gift certificates. In my case, I was able to increase my limit to a purchase amount of $200 per month. It still ***** because what if you have to buy certificates from the iTunes store and the Apps store for a variety of people?

"This purchase woould exceed the maximum gift certificate purchase amount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.