Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

automount volume permissions

Hi,

i created an automount to make sure my backup SBM Volume is mounted all the time,
the mounting works fine, problem is that my App and the Finder cant access this Volume. When I go there in the bash i can list the content:

/Users/Shared/RETROSPEKT -fstype=smbfs ://backup:xxx@192.168.1.221/backup

Also the device is listed twice when i list my mount:

map auto_backup on /Users/Shared/RETROSPEKT (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
//backup@192.168.1.221/backup on /Users/Shared/RETROSPEKT (smbfs, nodev, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)

How can I get normal access to this mount?

Message was edited by: Rupat

XServe, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 3:23 AM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2013 5:50 PM in response to Rupat

I have a similar problem. I have our users set up with network home directories which are shared via AFP. These are automounted on the client workstations. The problem is, the actual mount point gets incredibly restrictive permissions:

drwx------+ 1 user1 staff 264 Jan 17 10:48 /Network/Servers/server.local/Users/

So if user2 attempts to ssh into a machine where user1 is already logged in, user2 is unable to mount their home directory.

Have been unable to find a solution. I'm running 10.7.5 on all machines.

-n

automount volume permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.