Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicksilver 2002 1GHz DP - problems with replacement of dual processor card

About 9 months ago my QS2002 seemed to be running slower & would quit DVD player if I tried to start it in full screen; it would play broken green lines before doing so - although it seemed to be OK if I started in small view & switched to full screen once it had got going. Eye TV would randomly freeze too. Diagnostics said it had failed - the external cache was the problem. In "About this Mac" the 2MB L3 cache wasn't showing up. I spoke to a few people & they all thought it pointed to 1 of the processors failing on the daughter card so I kept an eye on eBay to try & get a replacement- which I did a few weeks ago.
I followed Sonnets instructions on how to change the processor card but on start up it only started for long enough to see that it had failed diagnostics with the same message as previously. It then had a kernel panic & refused to restart - either not progressing past the apple sign with a frozen cog or freezing if it got as far as OSX. I took out the replacement card & put the original one back. It booted without problem & was now registering the L3 cache & had passed the diagnostics test. I don't really understand why or how this was possible - did the card just need reseating?
The seller was very helpful & sent another card. - this time it had a kernel panic as it started & brought up something resembling the command page in Windows saying that there was a graphic chip error.
At this point I gave up, replaced the original card - which is still booting & passing diagnostics.
So are all replacement QS2002 1GHz DP cards not the same - any ideas why neither of these worked (the labels on them were very similar to the original)? Would I have similar problems if I tried an upgrade Sonnet or Newertech card? Did I miss something when changing the cards over & why did taking a card out and replacing it fix its external cache problem?

QS 2002 1GHz DP OS 10.4 & OS 9.2, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 7:08 AM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2010 7:35 AM in response to MouseyFox

Hi-
So are all replacement QS2002 1GHz DP cards not the same -

There will be different production runs, as well as different assembly lines, different component suppliers, different runs of processor chips.
Otherwise, architecturally, they are all the same.

Any OEM QS daughter card of any speed can be used in any QS.
any ideas why neither of these worked (the labels on them were very similar to the original)?

Possibly they were already no good.
The DP 1GHz is an excellent processor, but failure of one processor chip or cache is not that uncommon.
Further, used parts are always a risk as to health.
Would I have similar problems if I tried an upgrade Sonnet or Newertech card?

You should not, as long as the proper firmware patches are run prior to installation.
Did I miss something when changing the cards over & why did taking a card out and replacing it fix its external cache problem?

It could very well have been the process of removing and reinstalling that solved your problem.
Reseating of the CPU daughter card is a proper troubleshooting step, and can solve problems due to connection issues within one or more of the 300 pins.......

Oct 28, 2010 4:10 PM in response to MouseyFox

MouseyFox wrote:
About 9 months ago my QS2002 seemed to be running slower & would quit... - the external cache was the problem. In "About this Mac" the 2MB L3 cache wasn't showing up.

I had similar symptoms and startup was problematic sometimes. BDAqua and japamc helped me diagnose the L3 Cache missong problem.

MouseyFox, I did the same as you. That is I went on ebay looking for a replacement dual processor. Instead of just the processor I bought a used Quicksilver DP 1 GHz unit. I moved the DP 1 GHz card into my Quicksilver and all seemed great. It continues to run better than it did before the L3 Cache failure since the new card is faster than the old one. I planned on saving the rest of the purchased machine as a spare parts warehouse should something else go wrong.

Well after reading your post and the subsequent replies I thought, hmmm, maybe it was a connection problem. So I put my old DP 800 MHz card into the purchased machine and it started up and ran just fine. Checking the Apple System Profiler I find the L3 Cache is there too!

So now I have two Quicksilvers! Must have been something over time cause a poor connection and unseating and reseating the processor card brought it all back to life.

Nov 6, 2010 4:09 PM in response to Ralph9430

Many thanks for the replies - I hadn't realised reseating the card was a recognised troubleshooting step - & actually when I was replacing the original card I wasn't very convinced that I'd got it clicked into place. Good to hear that the replies have been of some use to Ralph9430 - I'd been contemplating buying an entire QS for spare parts too!

Quicksilver 2002 1GHz DP - problems with replacement of dual processor card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.