Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone4 built in mic does not mute when using apple headphones

When I plug in my apple headphones into my iphone4 (which I have to use because Bluetooth headphones give a terrible signal on the iphone4) the inbuilt microphone on the iPhone handset does not "mute". This means I effectively end up with two active microphones (one built into the phone and one on the headset.. This results is feedback/unacceptable background interference. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be fixed as it renders the phone useless unless you are able to hold it to your ear all day long.

Iphone4, iOS 4

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 3:24 PM

2 replies

Nov 12, 2010 5:01 AM in response to FlLTHY

I'm having the same problem. When making phone calls the external mic doesn't shut off. It appears to be very irritating go the people I talk too. It makes them doubt me when I tell them how great the new iPhone 4 is. 🙂 me and my wife both got one last week so we could FaceTime. We have 30 days to return them.

I had 2g, 3G, 3GS and now iPhone4. This is the only model I had problems with the hardware. Antenna is still a fail too.

Iphone4 built in mic does not mute when using apple headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.