Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital TV Adapter

Does anyone know if it is possible to edit a video file saved using a digital tv adapter for the mac? if so can you recommend a decent TV adapter to buy?
Apologies if this is the wrong forum...

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 9:44 AM

I use the ElGato EyeTV Hybrid. It will record HD TV over a rabbit ears antenna, and will record SD over coax cable, component, and S-video.

I understand the EyeTV HD will record composite from a cable box for clear QAM channels.

Read the ElGato website to see if one of these would work for your application.
4 replies

Oct 29, 2010 12:07 PM in response to Andy Eastwood

Yes, this works. You just record the program. Then you can Export the movie to iMovie 09 format. It will create an rcproject file and an Event file.

I just ran a test using iMovie 11. I recorded an episode of Glee. I exported a 2 minute clip to iMovie.
The original clip was MPEG2 1280x720. It exported as 1280x720 Apple Intermediate Codec.
I don't have iMovie 09 anymore to test it there.

Also, there are rudimentary editing tools in EyeTV. You can easily cut out commercials for example.

You can export the whole show, or just a clip. Apple Intermediate Codec produces large files, so you will likely need a large external drive.

Digital TV Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.